What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My TC mutant

glider14

Always a newbie
well i got this guy from...i dont remember and its probably the weirdest nep ive ever seen. it grows quite well but right now it looks like crap cause i dropped the phone on it and it kicked off a 2nd growht point(which rooted for me!!) some things weird about this on:
the leaves-the are VERY small. its like a juvie nep!
the stem-take a look at that thing. its all woody! its also about 5-6in tall!
the pitchers- no lid
the nectar glands- although you cant see them ther are TONS of glands on this one there are at least 20-25 under each leaf
the new offshoot- coming fro mthe woody stem...anyone ever heard of that?
hardiness-man... this thing is TOUGH! i havent watered this one fro almost 3 weeks. it was growing in very low light(where the pitcher came from) and its being watered wiith tap water! (ours has 165ppm)
DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

Alex

Hey Gliderrrrr!
smile.gif

First : do the following....
Keep the plant more moisty...the dead spaghnum on the peat moss seems to be too dry! It has no sense to have spaghnum so dried out if don't keep it wet!
And second...your Nepenthes is sure a DWARF Nepenthes.I suggest you to use some fertilizer on it like Osmocote or leaf fertilizer with some microelements. So that the plant will try to get the maximum out from herself.
And especially : TAKE CARE of the new BASAL PLANT that can give you nice results because it comes out from an already adult plant!
Bye

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

oh no! this is a TC mutant! Check this out!
this thing is barely 6in across and maby not even that much. the pitchers before this semi-normal one looked just like the ones in that post.

Alex

having a woody stem that long isn't really all that odd, I've got 2 or 3 normal plants like that.

Are there really nectar glands underneath the leaves? Get under there with a microscrope, because those could be something else. If they were, you wouldn't be able to count them with your naked eye I don't think

New offshoot from the wooden stem isnt really odd either.

But seriously....you should throw that thing away. A mutant that, well, mutated, does not deserve to be propagated ever.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Oct. 11 2006,1:58)]But seriously....you should throw that thing away. A mutant that, well, mutated, does not deserve to be propagated ever.
If he likes it, don't see what the problem is.

ha! thank you JLAP. yes i can see the nectar glands under neath the leaves. o nthe newest leaf which is about 4 inches there are at least 50 visible ones on there! the leaf is a light color and when the light hits the hardened nectar the right way, you can see them glimmering in the light! it is very pretty.
Alex

I see a problem in the fact that lots of people would rather neps not be fishing in the shallow end of the gene pool, myself included. Genetic diversity is already in a constant trend downward anyway, since neps aren't often grown from seed, and seed is rarely wild collected. What if his plant accidentaly pollinates another one of his plants, and he sends seeds out to people, who will then have wasted lots of time and ended up with multiple mutants. What if the plant gets propagated, and someone pays for a (whatever species/hybrid it is), which may look normal, but after growing for a bit reverts to a mutant state? I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty mad if that happened to me. If genetic...cleanliness...isn't important to you guys, go for it, but if it were me, I'd compost that thing in a second.

but uh...odds are that its sterile.
Alex

EDIT: i believe that this thing is N. ventrata or ventricosa. and if i ever give it out as a cutting i will lable it N. "TC Mutant".
Alex

just because its a mutant doesn't mean its sterile, for an extremely obvious example of this, consider someone with Down's Syndrome, dwarfism, etc. For mutant plants that aren't sterile, consider corn, wheat, etc

true...

Well, there really is not a problem with him keeping it. Not to me anyways. I would like to have a mutant, but I sure would cut any flowerspike off that forms. I do agree it doesn't neet to be propigated, and I for one do not like NoID plants so I feel it is irresponcable of someone to propigate with unknown plants. Keeping them though is a different story.

Back