What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill bical

• Thread starter CPsInAtl
  • Start date
So far, it's not dead!

bicalwindowmr3.jpg

Doesn't look like it's doing badly at all. How long has it grown like that?

Dang, nice job. It's doing better than mine, that's for sure.

I'd also like to know how long it's been growing there and how long it took to adjust and start pitchering.

I just moved my N. bical to the windowsill about a week or 2 ago. It does not seemed to have minded at all, but I'm a little worried as we are moving into winter and I keep my house on the cool side.
If things start to look bad I have a thought about placing the pot on a heat pad to see if keeping the roots warm will work even if the air temp will be colder.

elgecko, I like your heatpad idea. I have an ampularia that has outgrown the lowland tank, and I have been racking my brain for ideas. I may have to try that idea.

To be honest, it has done better since I moved it inside to the 'sill. The reason I moved it is was that my apt was renovating our exteriors. Well my VFTs and Sarrs took some abuse, I am still not sure how many VFTs I lost when the workers kocked the pot off the balcony. I guess that plant has been inside for about a month now or so. I had it in my bedroom but the setup wasn't too great as my other neps got prime real-estate, so I moved that guy out to the living room. From all I heard, I figured this plant would probably slowly die on me, but it has put up two new pitchers since Ibought it (had none which is why it was so cheap). I grow it in a tall 6" pot will nothing but LFS kept on the "tray method". So far the results speak for themselves I guess.

As for how long it took to pitcher, when i got it like I said it didn't have any, which is why the nursery was selling it super cheap - clearing them out and all. Anyway as soon as I got it a pitcher formed, but when it was still developing it got eaten by something. The next one came in which you can see in the back, but it doesn't really have a lid which is odd. The latest pitcher is in the foreground and looks perfect so far. There is another pitcher on the way.

Perhaps it's the mealworms I feed my neps...

Good luck with the bical on the windowsill. I've tried a lot of them with very limited success. They do alright but usually produce smaller pitchers and often none at all. They really do need high humidity and heat. They will stay alive for a while, but don't grow like they should in lowland conditions. But good luck!!

Joel
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Now reality is beginning to set it. How cold can these plants really take before its the end?

They can take a lot from my experience.

I was running behind this year in bringing in my neps. I wanted to repot them before I brought them under the grow lights. It's been about 1 1/2 weeks since I've brought them in.

Before I brought them in we've had cooler than normal weather for October. We had nights in the 40's and barely 50's. On the nights where it dropped below 40F, I put my neps in the shed I have in my backyard. They were in the shed for 4-5 days straight without light because of how cold it was here.

The bottom line is they survived and didn't show any signs of damage except a few red dots on a couple leaves. They are all still putting out new growth and even had new pitchers. I'm very impressed of the durability of these beauties!

Well, I'm not too concerned with my venticosa, sanguinea, and "black dragon", but sometimes I feel like I am pressing my luck with this one all the time. I guess so far it has worked.

N. bicalcarata most definitely does not like temps down into the 40's F. Now, combine this with the low humidity associated with cold snaps, and you have the perfect formula for a very unhappy bicalcarata. Actually, bicals will tolerate short time frames with nights down into the low fifties F as long as the daytime conditions are bright, humid-above 65% rh., and warm-85-90F.

oh ok. Then I'm not too worried about losing it then since it lives on my windowsill, and I don't leave the window open when it is that cold out.

As an update, it is now the start of winter and "cold" in my apartment. In the morning when I go out to the pot I see the temp is down in the 50s by the windowsill. Anyhow, the plant is still going. I have a pitcher forming, and a new leaf coming up right now. Now granted, I don't see any grapefruit sized pitchers coming off this plant, but is growing and getting bigger just sitting on my windowsill in a 6" pot of LFS in standing water. So far this experiment is showing that they don't appear to need a terrarium. Let's see how it is doing in January.

how much did you pay for your bical? i went out and snagged one at my local nursery today for 15... the pitchers look to be about as big as yours are.

i think i got a good deal...

I think that was a good deal Meaven. I paid 15 for one that is TINY compaired to this one. I bought another from a member on the forum and it was still smaller than that one and It was about 15 or so.

Both of mine are int he GH and it gets into the 50's. So far so good for both of my Bicals. They are growing and still putting on size. Not to big yet. I am still waiting.

When the bicals are smaller, then tend to do better as windowsill plants. I think it is because there is still more humidity around the plant when it is smaller. But when they get bigger, pitchers are smaller and many times unformed. The ends of the leaves may get wilted too. However, they will grow as houseplants. I've got a few I've been experimenting with. So good for you for trying.

Joel
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Wow where do you live, I really don’t know of any local nurseries near me that have anything good... anyone have advice, I live in Southern California near LA?
rock.gif

minnesota. theres a huge orchid/nepenthes nursery nearby here.

if your in california, you may want to stop by the california carnivores nursery. i dont know where it is, but its the self-proclaimed largest carniverous nursery in the united states =-P

I just got back from a two week trip to Miami and the dang thing is putting of a basal shoot...

My specimen plant has experienced 40f one time and is exposed to conistent nightime lows in the high 50's over the winter. During this time, it gets spotty and sits there doing absolutely nothing. Thats why it will probably never get bigger than 2 feet by 2 and a half feet.

Back