What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. inermis

I have a N. inermis that I'm attempting to grow in a terrarium. Ever since I got it, it hasn't been a happy camper. Now I'm quite aware of how Neps need to acclimate to a grower's specific conditions, and I'm sure that's what my plant is stubbornly doing right now, but I'd like to hear from those of you who grow this plant.

What are your conditions? What are your experiences?

Cold nights, bright light and and very loose airy medium. High humidity seems to be preferred as well.

Ultrasonic fogger w/ cool water might not be a bad idea, where'd ya get it if ya don't mind my askin?

Is that the one with the single, small green and paper thin pitchers with very thick digestive fluids?

That would be the one Dave. It also contains a paralyzing substance in its nectar on its filiamentous lid.

I plan to get one in the not so near future!

My Inermis grows nicely with temperatures of 24 C during day and 15 C during night ( neon OFF ). Humidity arounf 65%.
This Nepenthes will need no big time to aclimate!
Happy growing!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I grow mine with all my other highlanders. Temps are about identical to Mr. Aga's. My humodoty os a little lower than everyone else is stating. Media is just a basic open Nep mix. My plant has vined and flowered and is putting up a second large basal rosette so it is happy.

I have heard from others that if this plant is not happy it'll form a basal and the main plant will die back

I've never heard that before Pyro! Interesting as mine also had a big basal coming on it, but the main vine was in good condition as well. I do know if you cut it, the main vine can die and you can loose the entire plant if there is not a secondary basal to take over.

Hey Dustin,

Another grower here in Atl was trying to grow a number of highlanders outside under a protective canopy with misters. Many did alright but he had a terrible time with this one. When I mentioned mine was vining he said his never reached vine stage, everytime his plant got intermediate pitchers it would put out a new basal and then the older growth would croak. He had had his longer than I have had mine but never seen any uppers. The only thing we could think was that the plant really did not like the heat since mine in the crawlspace was never over 25C.

Back