What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small neps?

I've been growing N. lowii for a while now as an intermediate and it's actually settled in faster than any of my other Neps. It also isn't all that slow, which is odd considering all the fuss I've heard about it.

Now on the other hand, I've been having the hardest time growing N. inermis. I do think it's due to some overwatering on my part though, so I'm letting it dry out a bit before it gets any more.

Perhaps one day I'll get Nep watering right. It's such a problem for me
smile_h_32.gif

Hi there:

I'd try N. sanguinea, N. ventricosa, N. carunculata, N. mira, N. mikei, N. truncata (even though a lowlander it grows well in cold weather) and most hybrid highland X lowland combinations would do fine.

Gus

Thank you!

You can all expect that I'll be ready to trade whenever I get some extras anything.

I looked at some nep vendors and it looks like N. ampullaria is really expensive

You must be looking in the wrong places or at unique forms. Typical amps can be got for as cheap as $8-10

really???

I found ones that ranged from $50 to like $100

Where did you get yours?

I'm also wondering where i can find a lower priced N.truncata.
Lowland is fine.

You must be looking at either a huge specimine or something like the 'Tricolor' morph. Or a nursery that is over priced

I got mine in trade.

i wouldnt call amp's small...............sure their pitchers are small(with most clones grown indoors) but ive found that it likes to vine. mine went from a lil 6 inch rosette barly 3 inches tall to over a foot worth of vine and close to 18 inches across in about 4 leaves.

as Pyro said, some forms like the green and regular spotted ones are generally fairly cheap

i know where hes looking at.... yea their amps are like 50$ but they are fairly large too.
Alex

ok.

Are they hard to grow?
What about this N. campulata or something like that? What's so special about it?

amps? no, mine was a weed. likes humidity though.

cant say on the campulata, never grown one

how big do they usually get? (amps)

How hard is it to get N. vetchi?

...its TINY! its i believe the second smallest nepenthes...behind Argentii. it only grows like... 5in across or somthing like that. it dosent vine and has pretty pitchers. cute plant....if you can find it that is.
Alex

not sure how big, i chopped the vine when it hit 3 feet. leaves were somewhere around a foot long not including tendril and pitcher. only problem with this species is its tendancy to sit and pout. mine did nothing for the first 8 or 9 months i had it and all the sudden started growing like mad.

as for veitchii..........if your not particular on what clone its easy to find. if your after a particular clone it can be an entertaining search depending on what one you want. the standard gold/green peristrome one seems to be easy to find. heavily striped peristromes are harder to find

What's so special? It doesn't form vines, was once thought extinct, and you can't find one anywhere.

yes, N. campulata seems to grow something like a lowland N. inermis from what I just heard, but i still don't get it.

the thing is. it stays so small, is a moderatly slow grower, dosent vine...you could keep it for a LONG time in one place!! i like the pitchers.... and schloaty has a "blushed" form of it that is pretty neat.
Alex

so maybe he might be able to help me.

I've seen Campy's around, although small. Mine'll probly show up today. Do a search and see what nurseries pop up, call em an ask em. That's usually the best way to find what yer lookin for.

I've heard that campanulatas grow well in low-ish light and high humidity, much like D. adelea.

Another good Nepenthes to grow is N. x medusa. The pitchers are huge but the plant stays compact. It can take both lowland and highland conditions.

Back