What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another mix question

Anyone out there use this as a mix ingredient? If so in how much in relation to other ingredients.

Right now I happen to have all the ingredients for D'Amato's mix (LFS, peat, perlite, orchid bark, vermiculite).

Currently i only use LFS and am repotting all my neps this weekend in larger pots and was wondering if anyone had any success/use this mix.

I use peat/perlite/vermiculite in a 1:1:1 ratio. You're going to get a bucnh of replies, and they probably will all talk about using different mixes. Each grower has their preferred mix pretty much. There really isn't a "superior" mix (in general at least), though some species may benefit from a more porous, wetter, drier, whatever, etc mix.

I hate vermiculite, it turns to mush after awhile so you have to change the soil more often...

pure LFS up to a 6 inch pot, bigger than that add orchid bark(or cocnut husk chips) to prevent compacting.................this works for me

Hey Rattler, have you ever had mold grow on the CHC when you do that? I did and quit using it that way. There was no sign it was causing any harm, but it looked icky any time the mix was disturbed. I use sponge rock instead now, even in pots smaller than 6".

havent noticed mold. doesnt mean its not there but i tend to plant them and forget about them for a year or so other than an occational look over.........once a nep has gotten to the size it needs bigger than a 6 inch pot i just kind ignore them other than to check for new pitchers cause they have adapted to my conditions so i quite worrying about them. i am only fussing over the small ones that are in pure LFS anyways.

come to think of it i do use the CHC quite a bit in my frog tanks and havent noticed any molding of them in there and im paying a bit more attention to the tanks than to the larger Neps.

Back