What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes growth experiment

Hey all,

As some of you may know, I'm still an undergrad
smile_h_32.gif
. Seeing as I love CPs, and I need to do something to kind of "get my name out there" so I can get into med school (haha), I was considering doing an experiment, and subsequently writing a paper on the effect of GA3 on Nepenthes seeds and their subsequent growth rate, as I have recently gotten my hands on a lot of seeds of a certain hybrid. I have done some preliminary "trials" I guess you could say, and have some evidence, though not so definite, yet, to believe that GA3, in high concentrations, can have a rather stark impact on nep growth rate. I plan on continuing this study for about 6-8 months. So far, I haven't seen anything online showing that anyone has done what I am thinking about doing.

My question is, would this be of something of interest to the community, or would I just kind of be wasting my time?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

even though I haven't personally tried to grow Nepenthes from seed, I would still be interested(as I currently am).

I think it might be of some interest because GA3 is often used in the CP hobby.

Well...I decided I'd go ahead and do it anyway. Like I said, I have some slight, though not totally compelling evidence as to its effect. I love science...if I don't carry through with the experiment, its going to bother me until I do

Good thing I started it the day I first posted about it, huh? haha

I think you will find it has a good growth rate up to a certain extent.  This type of experiment has been done before, but of course it could not be constituted as scientific.  There was no control.  When this guy put GA3 into a new pitcher the susiquant leaf grew drasticly larger, but the pitcher didin't form properly IIRC.  I would love to see your results and do not let what I said discorage it.  Since it would be great to know if a low dose of GA3 could be used to expidite a plant to a larger size where it will grow fast on its own.  It would also be nice to know if it aids in seed germination.

I think you will find though that each species would be different and that it will only be effective to a sertain strength and you might be able to OD the plants on it too.

I am sure you know, but be careful with this hormone.
Goodluck and please share your findings with us!

JB_OrchidGuy...

"that guy" was me
smile.gif

It was on an albomarginata...I posted it over the summer on CPUK. And yes, that high of a conc of GA3 was wayyy too high, as the leaves on said plant are still large, but pitchers still do not form correctly

I have a better approach this time, with a few different concentrations, which will only be used as a foliar spray...HOPEFULLY something good happens

Back