What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps from Andreas

I found a package outside my back door less than two hours ago containing my Nepenthes. It was 30°F out and the package was probably sitting there for several hours. The good news is that the plants do not show signs of actually freezing. I will get pictures up tomorrow (or rather today).

N. species nova clone 2A seems to be reddish in colour while clone 16 looks all green. N. hamata clone 2 has a bit of red colouration but it is really too early to tell if this is Andreas' 'red clone'. For the most part, everything is very small. I hope they grow quickly!

I hope they are indeed OK. It's even more reason to keep a close eye on them for the following weeks. I've not had plants adversely affected or die from postal handling, but I dread to think of the day it might happen.
The best plant I got from Wistuba was his macrophylla - it grew from a 1.5" leafspan to its current 7.5" in just under a year. Very well worth their price!

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I found a package outside my back door less than two hours ago containing my Nepenthes. It was 30°F out and the package was probably sitting there for several hours. The good news is that the plants do not show signs of actually freezing. I will get pictures up tomorrow (or rather today).

I also got plants from Andreas and feared the same thing so I asked his distributor in GA to include a heat-pack. You might want to ask for one of these in the future.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For the most part, everything is very small. I hope they grow quickly!

Almost all of Andreas' neps and heli's are tiny. But, if you're familiar with how to grow these plants and can give them the right conditions, it's a great place to acquire hard-to-find species.

You may want to give these plants higher humidity than you otherwise would. Their leaves are not hardened and are sensitive to dessication. Since they are small and fairly recently out of tissue culture, they can be prone to collapse, either via rot or "spontaneously." I've reduced my losses by planting them in live LFS or, at the very least, topdressing with live LFS. This reduces the likelihood of slime, algae, liverworts, and fungus growing on the surface.

Good luck with your plants. Hope they pull through.

Ken

Hey guys. After they've been in the tank for a few hours, I've assessed the damage. The growth tip on one of the N. species nova is black, as is the growth tip on the N. veitchii. However, the other six plants are fine (including a 1 inch hamata!) and I imagine these two will form basals or something since they are otherwise healthy.

Ken, I haven't got much live sphagnum that isn't already established in other Nep pots, but I've put a topdressing of Chilean sphagnum on all of the plants. Do you think that will keep them moist enough? It's pretty much identical to New Zealand sphagnum, if that makes sense.

Now for pictures!

N. species nova Clone 2A
species_nova.jpg

N. adnata
adnata_4.jpg

adnata_2.jpg

N. hamata
hamata.jpg

A shot of the whole bunch
tank_full.jpg

Two N. species nova are on the upper-left side of the Predator. Right above it is N. veitchii. In the center of the photograph is N. spectabilis, and to the right of that is N. adnata. N. anamensis is in the big blue pot, and there is another N. species nova below and to the left of that.

I'll post more pics once these start putting out big, colourful pitchers!

D,

Was the "Live Plants" notice still on the box?? You would think that USPS would pay attention to that!!

Looks great! I've never ordered anything from Andreas before, but I've considered it before in order to get a N. glabrata. It seems he's the only one who sells them as of right now.

They look ok. Watch out for that tip death on the Nova species.

Pyro, the notice was still there (what part of 'Protect from COLD' is so hard to understand?), but the postman probably left them there in the afternoon when it was still reasonably warm.

LG, this was my first order, too, and I was surprised at the size of some of them. From what I had heard his plants were all size 2, but most were size 3.

NepG, is there anything I can do for the plant? The tip is still green, it's just that the top part got cracked off. It was a dry brown colour when it arrived and has not spread at all. I just don't know how the plant is going to grow now.

Ken, I decided to take your suggestion and sacrificed some live LFS from another pot. A few plants were already starting to look dried out.

Here's a pic of the new highland tank:
119-1944_IMG.jpg

If it is dried out then you're probably safe, the plant sealed itself over. Brown and crisy is good, mushy isn't. Just leave it alone for now and see how it recuperates. Should be good.

I have a question: When you order from Andreas, how long does it take to get your plants?

Also, since their prices aren't in US dollars, do you just pay with a credit card and they work out the difference?

What are their shipping prices like? I'm considering ordering a few plants from them within the next few months.

im ditto with LG. i want a hamata or glabrata. and i finally have the right conditions for them!!!
Alex

NepG, good to know! Thanks for that, I was thinking it was the beginning of the end already. Do you think it will start a new stem or die back and form basals at this size?

LG, I'll PM you with that.

dlybrand,

though I haven't grown those 2 species before, tip death usually isn't anything to worry about, if the plants are given proper conditions. I've cracked the tip off of a few species accidentally, and they pretty much continued where they left off, albeit slowly. I've had a tip go black on a rafflesiana gigantea TWICE...and though its pretty much in a statis, it continues to do fine and grow from the same location. My situation was like yours but opposite. The raff was shipped to the wrong address and spent 4 days in a box in 105° heat

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ken, I haven't got much live sphagnum that isn't already established in other Nep pots, but I've put a topdressing of Chilean sphagnum on all of the plants. Do you think that will keep them moist enough?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ken, I decided to take your suggestion and sacrificed some live LFS from another pot.

Your plants looked very healthy on arrival. Given that, I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that they were left in the cold for a bit.

I don't use the LFS topdressing primarily for moisture retention; rather, I use it to prevent rot problems. I've found that for my conditions, topdressing with LFS is better than having a peat surface, and that live LFS seems better than dead. I've found little difference in quality between good NZ and Chilean LFS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A few plants were already starting to look dried out.

Do you have your plants in a very high (80+%) humidity environment? If not, the "drying out" of the leaves is probably due to shock. Small plants, especially those recently out of TC, are prone to this. Misting the plants is virtually useless since the effect is lost once the water evaporates off the leaves, usually in a matter of minutes. This is why I usually put small, non-hardened neps in an enclosed area with 100% humidity and good air circulation (e.g., plastic sandwitch baggie over very small plants). I gradually punch more and bigger holes in the baggie until eventually, it comes off. By that time, the plant is hardened to the ambient humidity of my apartment which is ~60%.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you order from Andreas, how long does it take to get your plants?

For US orders, he usually ships multiple orders at once to a distributor who then packages the individual orders and mails them. So, depending on when you place the order, it could be weeks to months before the plants get to you. Your order is processed immediately, however.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]do you just pay with a credit card and they work out the difference?

This is the easiest way. However, credit card companies charge a fee for payments in non-US currency. The fee from my card was ~$30 USD.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What are their shipping prices like?

Shipping is usually free for orders of a certain size since he ships multiple orders at once. The caveat is having to wait sometimes months for the plants. BUT YOUR PATIENCE WILL PAY OFF. The plants are on the small side but spectacular.

Ken

Back