What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fertilizing neps

I'd like to try fertilizing some of my more sluggish growers. I want to get some advice though, as I've never used anything but gibberellins on my plants and I'd rather not overfertilize. I have those Oscomote pellet things...will those work? Do I just throw them on the soil or dissovle them in water or what?

I use Schultz orchid fertilizer about once to twice a month on all of my cps

can i use an organic fertilizer with a high nitrogen content, like 30-10-10. will this be ok for my neps, or should i use an orchid fertilizer instead.?

orchid...why do you think neps catch bugs huh? nitrogen. a high nitrogen fertilizer will make smaller pitchers.
Alex

We use Neptune's Harvest Fish and Seaweed Blend 2-3-1, we use the dose for houseplants (or a little less). It works great, the Neps love it.

Previously we used a high nitrogen orchid food, at half or quarter dosage. We switched to the Neptune's Harvest a while ago because it's organic.

do you use it as a foliar spray, or in the soil?

I foliar feed.

We drench the roots. We mix 1 tablespoon (give or take) with one gallon of water and give a good drink to the roots about once a month in winter, twice a month in summer. If a splash gets on the leaves and in the pitchers that's good. It works great on seeds too. After sowing Nep seeds Michelle sprays them with the fish and seaweed blend and they seem to germinate and grow faster.

man..i gotta get some of this stuff then! I have been using GA3 on seedlings and plants, but have only noticed an effect on seeds.

I will definitely try the stuff you're using. Once again, thanks a lot!

Back