What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I saw my first nep

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Two months ago, I saw my first nep ever. It had pitchers, and I was immediately right up in there examining it. I wonder what it is? I will post picks as soon as I can so we can identify it. It resides in the college conservatory… [frowns] and as far as I know it doesn’t get any different water than the devil’s ivy next to it, which means the waterer there as a reverse osmosis filter!  The plant was interesting, but it wasnt flamboyant or anything. I actually found the other types of cp’s there more interesting personally. I wonder why the flytaps and such aren’t in dormancy yet?  The whole greenhouse is kind of old and has lots of free space, with the only research being twards the development of new grape varieties… BORING! It’s an agricultural college, but I find most types of agriculture so utterly boring. Focusing on ‘improving’ corn or soybeans all my life is not for me! The whole place is kind of underwhelming, to be honest. I probably will transfer from SDSU next year to a place with more active horticultural research.
Anyway, this is kind of a milestone in cp’s for me. Perhaps I might try to grow some nep's when I have the space and the time.

It's cool to stumble across one like that.  But don't count on the green house supplying RO water.  That would be surprising for an old university greenhouse.

By the way, don't give up on ol' State U too quickly.  I'm sure you'll find biology/botany professors with interests far removed from agriculture.  If you're their rare student who's also interested in those things, you'll get learning opportunities you'd never see at some elite Botany department.  Plus save some serious $ along the way.  Then apply for assistantships at grad schools that do exactly what you're interested in and get them to pay your way.

Back