What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no pitchers forming

Greetings everyone. I have a ventrata that when I first got it, it had some pitchers growing. Then, for a period of time, it seemed to struggle, adjusting to my climate (from Hawaii to Ohio). The growth slowed and it stopped forming its pitchers.

This year, the plant has really taken off. It is probably 2+ feet tall, long healthy leaves, but still no pitchers.

For the winter, I have now placed it in a 4-tiered minigreenhouse in my basement. It has good lighting that is kept on a timer, trays of water to maintain the humidity, misted and watered on a regular basis, but still no pitchers.

I know it's hard to tell what's going on without seeing it, but any advise of what I could try?

Thanks,
Dwight

the keys are consistancy and light. humidity isnt as important as you think. my ventrata also did that. from november to may...nothing. i put it outside over the summer and it started making pitchers! it was the light! but then it got knocked out of its tree and the pitcher broke off. it didnt even fully develop.
Alex

Can you describe the type and amount of lighting Dwight? #1 cause for lack of pitcher formation is insufficient light levels and/or too short daylength.

How many hours should they get a day?

I have 2 - 20W grow bulbs (tubes) within the minigreenhouse and positioned about 8" above the neps and 2 - 40W flouresent bulbs on the outside of the greenhouse. Both 20W bulbs are on a timer and are on for 14 - 15 hours a day. The 40W is on for about 6-10hrs a day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help!

Dwight

Back