What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jumped on the nepenthes addiction train

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hey guys,

lol! I did it guys..I finally found a place that sold neps and bought this one. There were two good ones and I finally decided on going for a little younger plant with smaller but healthier pitchers.

here are pics::

They are underneath my dressing "undercabinet fixture". Is this enough light for them??? I can't find how to hang it near my window.
sad.gif

1911061710rr4.jpg

1911061711tu0.jpg

1911061712iz0.jpg

1911061713oe7.jpg

1911061714bo6.jpg

1911061715bd9.jpg

1911061716hq2.jpg

What do u think??? comparing to the earlier one? The leaves are a little pale...but they look stiff and healthy. There are also 2 neat pitchers in the moss. looks real cool.

Now please give me some care info ;)... I am used to vft's. I just sprayed the plant with distilled water + then watered it with 250 ml of distilled water.

cheers,

vraev

A very healthy plant of Deroosa's N. Ventrata (alata x ventricosa). They have been selling these plants for the past 20 something years labelled as N. alata. Very durable and easy to grow Nepenthes. I would deffinately find a nice Western or Southern exposure as the light you have it under is most likely quite insufficient for the plants' needs.

Aside from the bright light requirement. I wouldn't be overly concerned with misting N. Ventrata. Once acclimated they can deal with humidity fluctuations. Water well and allow to dry slightly before watering again.

Tony

Thanks tony. Now I got to figure out how to hang it somewhere
sad.gif
.....darn the light requirement ;) lol!
tounge.gif

Wait till your spending 60 bucks a pop on plants Then yoiu graduate to more and more. GL on your plant. It looks nice. I have cuttings of this plant I have had trouble giving away though! LOL they are nice and durable and my first one also.

wow...sounds like it is a really good "NEWBIE" nepenthes. I guess I have the water needed..i.e., distilled for now and SNOW metled water when snow starts this winter. I have ants for the plant ;) from the mac atrium
tounge.gif
lol! I guess light is the only issue here. Since I do consider leaving this plant in a hanging basket...I wonder how to get it enough light.

BTW...if you guys ever wonder where my VFT terrarium is and where the plant is right now....here is a panaromic pic I made in photoshop with 4 pics from my crappy 0.3 MP cell phone camera.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4537/roomxv1.jpg

Would love to hear suggestions on where to put the plant. Please note that this building is at an angle....so the window on the left gets actually less "shaded light" as well. Comparitively ..the right one is atleast better....nice "bright enough" shade in summer when I don't need the lights to be on in the day.

congrats!! Ventrata was my first Nep.... but now its just a single cutting. from root rot after it got its roots torn of by a storm over the summer. no matter how common it is... its still such a pretty hybrid...it lookslike its vining...if you get flowers they will be sterile so dont get your hopes up.
Alex

Thanks for the compliments glider. lol! all of you guys have convinced me to switch over to the neps which is probably the obsession of 60% of the entire professional CP community atleast in my opinion. And I can see why...this plant is soo genius....The shape of the pitchers...the intricate art of nature. can you believe that there are 2 full grown pitchers sitting "half IN" in the potting peat + sphagnum. It looks wicked...half full with liquid and all....I know probably the manufactur put those in the sphagnum but...there is actually a small new pitcher forming in there as well....looks sooo naturalistic. very very cool. I love the plant. lol! hopefully if this guy sticks with me well....I might get a ticket for buying more neps later next summer ;)

well..I know that the plant has grown for the most part at the manufacturer who has obviously great conditions for cps. The nursery for the most part has better conditions than any other regular store like home depot or walmart as they use stagnated water i.e. non chlorine water for all plants.

I think the problem starts with me considering the plant only has this single stress of me bringing it to a new environment for it.

i misted the plant 2 times already and water it as I said before...i put the terrarium humidity guage there and it said the humidity is around 55%. Is that ok???

I guess I have to keep this guy this way atleast till I make a stand or something to put him near he window.

lol! glider...I wasn't even expecting flowers. I actually prefer it doesn't flower and uses all its energy for growing more leaves and pitchers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Nov. 19 2006,10:49)]i misted the plant 2 times already and water it as I said before...i put the terrarium humidity guage there and it said the humidity is around 55%. Is that ok???
55% humidity should be fine. I only provide mine with about 45 to 50% humidity and it pitchers well. As for the light and the hanging basket - I would just use the hanging basket like a normal pot until you can fix something up. Maybe move your fan and just set the hanging basket on that little shelf area. What direction does your window face?

xvart.

here are a couple of new pics taken today morning and at night. I know the camera is extremely "INCAPABLE" of showing the amount of light...but a good sense here is the amount of darkness in the morning at the back end of the room....Forget the glare near the window....its alll exaggerated by this stupid camera... its not that much light coming in.

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/6290/roommorncr9.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/7625/daynightak9.jpg

so.....I have been moving the pot around here and there to check which is better....In spite of the light being low at the window....it seems that the plant LOOKS LIT up...i.e.,, I can see a lighter shade of the pitchers near the window...compared to the undercabinet light..where it is soo dark shades on the pitchers ...especially the pitchers INSIDE the moss.

cheers,

vraev

PS:: xvart, I think the windows faces north kinda.....and its in such a UN-USABLE direction for plants. I guess I can say its medium shade...So I actually started leaving the tube light on in the room as well.

If u can notice in the picture...the area where the fan is gets No light at all....and the area of the regular house pot in the left side window gets actually lower light considering that there is a pine tree right outside blocking the light. That is why I acutally put it like how I have it now.. balanced on top of my terrarium cornered by the cardboard that has AL foil on it.

maybe you can post URL's instead of those HUGE pictures?

Its hard to read forums for people, especially when pictures exceed over 800 Pixels.

It looks like a happy nepenthes though Congrats.

for lighting what I use is those energy Saving 60 watt light bulbs that Actually look like they put out 120 watt's. They get big and use those 60 watt fixtures, but they make up for what you have their.

Guys,

I got this one for now. its a 32 watt GE mini CFL. CRI 82, 2300 lumens. I wanted to get the 45 watt..but they can't find it now..so I got a raincheck for it instead and bought this to try this out..so that I can return and get the other one once it arrives.

comeon now this has to be sufficient for a nep. Even my VFT's are getting light from lower wattage sources ;) What do u think?? r my nep troubles over??? I am misting it daily 2-3 times...and this light for 16 hrs. is that good?
rock.gif

You dont need to mist this species. So Now Slowly STOP misting, its a waste of time. The light should be a bit closer and you would be set.

Thanks nepenthes_ak. Finally a direct response.
smile.gif
I have been waiting for hrs. lol! ;) Do u think I should bother using a raincheck I have and get the 45 watt "same bulb" that gives 3000 lumens instead later??? or is enough?

personally I think if you just put the light closer to the plant, you wouldn't need the extra light intensity. Remember, radiation intensity drops at 1/r^2 rate.

thanks guys.

Back