What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone
Just a few pics to share. I recently built a new enclosure for my plants and words can't describe how happy I am with the result/s...

First off is a pic I took quite a while back just to give an idea of the size of the previous enclosure (100x60x40cm) under a single 400W HPS:
tankbd2.jpg

Now it takes up more room, lit by one each of 125W CFLs (2700K and 6400K) and a single 400W HPS, set on separate timers (CFLs morning/evening, HPS day). The sun shines through in the mornings when the weather allows. It measures 120x60x90cm:
setupsn2.jpg

setup1bl0.jpg

And now for a few plant pics.

I have to say I'm very far from unhappy with the BE plants I got via a supplier in Poland. This is N. inermis x bongso with N. petiolata in the background (huge plant!). Many thanks once again go to the good folks in Poland and Borneo Exotics:
inengsoci1.jpg

N. ephippiata and N. macrophylla battling it out for best pitcher:
ephimacropv5.jpg

Wistuba's N. macrophylla, which I received on 24/11/2005. The small blackened leaf was just about unfurling when the plant arrived. Not a fussy grower at all so far! Now at approximately 7" across after a year under my care:
macprokm4.jpg

I'm very happy with its progress. The pitcher on the left is from 2 leaves ago (the one after not being much different in aspect):
maccomtz4.jpg

macpitcg1.jpg

macperkp6.jpg

I'm excited to see what the growing season will bring!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers
Amori

WOW!!!
very nice enclosure! im green with envy lol
Hellz

Great stuff, Amori! Your macrophylla is very, very happy, as are the rest of your plants. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!

Capslock

Looks fantastic! I think the N. macrophylla pitcher wins.

Very Nice Setup!!!

Very nice Microphylla!!!

FANTASTIC!

That HPS has a nice color!

Nice plants and pics!

Hope that you can show us some more great pics!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 26 2006,9:46)]FANTASTIC!

That HPS has a nice color!
Thanks all. Not only did this project require careful attention and perseverence, it required re-arranging my bedroom - 5-tom drum kit, 6-speaker HiFi, and a queen-size bed. I won't get started on the rug cleaning and vacuuming... (I landed the biggest room in the house for some reason).

Actually, the HPS is off in that pic (taken at about 1730), and only the CFLs are on. But it's true that it looks really nice when all of them are on; just like a bright afternoon with a hint of autumn. The 6400K (cool white) seems to have a relatively strong influence on the overall colour of the visible light.

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, the HPS is off in that pic (taken at about 1730), and only the CFLs are on. But it's true that it looks really nice when all of them are on; just like a bright afternoon with a hint of autumn. The 6400K (cool white) seems to have a relatively strong influence on the overall colour of the visible light.
OHHHHH! so you use the CFL's to recreate sundown and sunrise?? thats so cool!!
those are great looking plants!! how do you cool your...uh greenhouse(haha)?

Glider14- Yep, you've got the answer! I'm tempted to wire them individually so I can set the cool and warm according to the time of day. We'll see. I'm also toying with idea of adding a "moon" light - maybe something along the lines of a gentle white LED. I came up with this when I used my cell phone as a flashlight one late night.

Cooling only requires me to reach over my plants to open the window, which serves as the back wall of the enclosure. Even without such effort it gets down to about 58F in there nowadays. So my setup is now actually and finally week-long-vacation safe!

Cheers!
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I came up with this when I used my cell phone as a flashlight one late night.
your not the only one :p

my room gets down to 60 at night...but thats only for winter.. i dont know about summer yet.
Alex

Oo.gif

Those are some awesome plants, and some really great photos!

Thanks for sharring the beauty you have allowed to prosper!

Back