What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Glabarata

I was wondering how hard it is to grow N. Glabarata, how hard it is to obtain usually, and what temps it usually needs

Hard to find, not hard to grow, think highland gracilis! Needs typical nocturnal temp drops and also to be very moist.

I've yet to find one, but I've always wanted to grow one. I wonder why they're so difficult to obtain...especially if they're easy to grow!
rock.gif

Maybe not much interest. You knwo some folks are not going to grow something they cannot make money on. It is a shame too since they all should be cultivated since there habitats are leaving rapidly.

I grow it. Like NepG said it is easy. Mine was a bit tricky to establish but once it settled in it took off.

If you really want to get it you might have better luck looking at overseas distributors vs. US ones. Just a thought

Good point Pyro, I tried rooting a few one time and I did get one to grow and pitcher, but NO roots!

Some US nurseries stock it. Next year N. glabrata will be available in much larger quantities than before.

If someone could PM me with a US nursery that sells N. glabrata I would very much appreciate it.

Why not do searches on your own? There are only about 6 big nurserys worth searching in the US. Overseas are a whole different ballgame.

eh...i couldnt find it.
rock.gif
rock.gif

Even if a nursery doesn't have it listed, call 'em anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Dec. 02 2006,9:33)]Why not do searches on your own? There are only about 6 big nurserys worth searching in the US. Overseas are a whole different ballgame.
Because I've been doing my own searches for N. glabrata for almost a year now and have yet to find it...That's why!

N. glabrata is certainly with some US nurseries right now but perhaps they are choosing not to sell it yet. Availability of this species will go from poor to good in the spring of 2007.

I've been growing mine outdoors for several years without any problems. One is in the vining stage. They often put out small sideshoots and the tendrils are really long. Wistuba Nursery in Germany was the only provider of this plant for a while but a MAJOR supplier of Nepenthes is releasing glabrata so it should become readily available soon from what I heard. I'm not endorsing any nursery that is in competition with this forum. I'm just stating that the only clones of glabrata that I grow and have heard of originated from tissue culture in Germany.

Joel
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Dec. 02 2006,9:42)]N. glabrata is certainly with some US nurseries right now but perhaps they are choosing not to sell it yet. Availability of this species will go from poor to good in the spring of 2007.
Good to hear! I'm hoping it will be the same for N. hamata relatively soon. Do you happen to know when it will become more readily available and affordable? I've heard that overseas it's much more common (and less expensive) than over here.

Let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if it was available in the next month or so.

Joel

glabrata

Yeah, I've been lookin for it ever since i saw it in the Savage Garden

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Dec. 03 2006,4:44)]Yeah, I've been lookin for it ever since i saw it in the Savage Garden
Same here. I think it's a beautiful species, so I hope it's true that the plant will start becoming available soon.

It's quite a small Nepenthes, isn't it?

Back