What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken growing points

I just received a few nepenthes in the mail, and two (Miranda and ampullaria) have lost their growing tips (ie. they were broken off):(. Will they grow new growing tips from the same place, or will they have to start a whole new shoot?
Thanks,
Brian

expect some shock and pouting...but they should bounce back wether it be a basal or stem offshoot. ampullaria you wont have to worry about because of all the basla rosetts it make at its base.
Alex

thanks alot
brian

In my experience, if the growing tip is accidentally or intentionally cut off. the next shoot down the plant starts to grow, unless you have an extrmely mature vine then it may send out a basal shoot.
Lois

Luckily, neither of the plants are very large. Thanks again for all your help.
Brian

Sometimes the next leaf will still be quite small and breaking the leading tendril won't actually wound the growth point at all. You may just end up with one or two broken, deformed leaves and then business as usual - it all depends on how close the break is to the stem.
~Joe

I don't mind broken meristems at all! I usually get about three new shoots.

One exception is when I broke my N. albomarginata ("kutching spotted", I believe). Luckily the meristem was not damage and what happened was what Joe described.

Unfortunately for the person I traded it to, the meristem did indeed snap. Luckily 3 new shoots are growing for him
smile.gif

Back