What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps in Borneo

Hi gang,

Its been a long while since I have posted. However, having just returned from a trip to Borneo I thought I'd share a few Nep pics.

I did not go to actively seek out Neps, but when the opportunity presented itself, or if I found some in passing, I got a few snaps.

This first set are from the Damai Beach area. Some are from along the roadside and some from half way up Mt Santubong:

Sant1.jpg

Sant1-1.jpg

Sant9.jpg

Sant8.jpg

Sant7.jpg

Sant2.jpg

Sant4.jpg

Sant3.jpg

Sant6.jpg

Sant5.jpg

This series of pics are from the main road into the Semenggoh Orang-utan Sanctuary in Sarawak. I was blown away by the size of some of the Ampullaria plants!!!

Sem1.jpg

Sem2.jpg

Sem3.jpg

Sem4.jpg

Sem5.jpg

Sem6.jpg

Sem7.jpg

Sem8.jpg

Sem9.jpg

Sem99.jpg

And this is from Mt Kinabalu in Sabah:

Kin1.jpg

Kin11.jpg

Kin2.jpg

Kin3.jpg

Kin4.jpg

Kin5.jpg

Kin6.jpg

Kin7.jpg

KIn8.jpg

Kin9.jpg

Aaron

those macrophylla are spectacular. whats the crazy lookin youngling one? anyone know?

Dude just out there in the open like that huge neps? Nice pics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Jan. 02 2007,12:15)]those macrophylla are spectacular. whats the crazy lookin youngling one? anyone know?
N. villosa not macrophylla
smile.gif

great pics dude! and those villosa...are just diabolical looking!!
Alex

I love you,really!
Thanks fior sharing!

Mr_Aga
MIlan - ITALY

Thank you so much for sharing those photos Aaron! I absolutely must get an opportunity to go to Borneo someday.

Thanks guys,

Borneo is a wonderful place to visit Nepenthes or not. Though not cheap compared to much of Sth East Asia it’s a real action/adventure destination. Especially if you like wildlife and nature.

Climbing Mt Kinabalu (4095m) and Mt Santubong (810m) were highlights and the fact that both had Neps just added to the experience.

There are so many more species that I must have come close to, but as I said, I was not actively seeking them out and all the above pics are along the well beaten trails and roads.

Certainly the N. villosa was unexpectedly stunning. I had no idea they got so big and could be found in such numbers. I was also quite surprised at the more epiphytic habit and low light levels where it was found. The pitcher I have above would have easily been around 0.5-1.0 litres in capacity. BIG!

Our Mt Kinabalu guide tried to find Lowii and Rajah for me, but no luck. There was supposedly a drought some years back that took a big toll on both species in Kinabalu Park.

The photo with me in it was another real surprise. That ‘shrub’ consisted of a single male N. ampullaria plant. Heaven only knows how old it must have been to be that big. And it was covered in flowers. Amazing.

Unfortunately, my partner took very ill over the last 10 days (we had to get her hospitalised on the first day in Kota Kinabalu when she first went downhill) so quite a few of our plans that would have also had more Neps got missed. The plus side is I now have an excuse to go back ASAP ;-)

Aaron

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Jan. 03 2007,6:36)]I absolutely must get an opportunity to go to Borneo someday.
I was thinking about moving anyway... I think a little "action/adventure" destination might be a good change in pace. Pluse seeing neps in the wild would add a little food for the soul.

I told my wife last night that we should go to Borneo and she gave me the stern "No way." Oh well, we're young and I'll talk her (or some action/adventure buddies of mine into one of these days.

Thanks for sharing!

xvart.

All I can say is
oh.gif

Those pictures are fantastic! I am rather jealous of you for having that opportunity.

Ima sucker for pics of plants in the wild. Especially Neps!
Thanks dude....

Hey there Aaron.
Thanx so much for posting these beautiful pictures of nepenthes in Borneo.
I doubt that I will ever make it to Bornea. Thanx for sharing your adventure.
Lois

Back