What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. "black dragon" growth point colored?

• Thread starter CPsInAtl
  • Start date
I am noticing that the growth point on my "black dragon" is colored. It doesn't seem black like it is rotting, but sort of... purple. The very tip where the new pitcher would be is very white so I don't think the plant is rotting. Has anyone else who has this plant noticed this also?

i've had several different colors in growth tips, and if it doesn't feel like its rotting, its more than likely fine. Plus, black dragon pitchers arent black, just a dark dark purple, so I'm sure its natural albeit slightly misplaced pigment

The growth tips on my black dragon seem like most all other nep tips: light brown, a little green maybe, and a curling. The color does very a lot, but I have not seen a "very bright white" or anything else to the extreme of the color spectrum.

Would it be possible to check the roots without disturbing them too much? Worst case scenario and it is rotting you'll want to get in there quicker and salvage what you can. I would imagine if it was rot you would see more evidence along the plant vine area. How many leaves have shown this color?

xvart.

Do di do. I just woke up and have only had one cup of coffee so if I start talking crazy let me know :)

The color is a result of genetics and UV. Anthocynanin.

The white color, If I had to make a hypothesis, is just an illusion. It is all of the trichomes bunched up in one area before the plant grows and they are dispersed. Also, the lower amounts of chlorophyll (and other pigments) in new tissue enhance the appearance of it being white. Light reflected makes it look that way, like the moon.

Option number two is I'm suffering from caffeine withdrawal and you have a nutrient deficiency 'm boy!

I would agree with Clint on this one. The growth tip turning purple is because you are doing a good job of giving the plant more light. I have several new aquasitions that are getting purple suntans on them. It is the same as if you went outside unprotected. You tan up or get burned. Purple coloring is just the plants sun tan. I have a few leaves on some plants that turned all purple. This is due tot he plant being grown under lower light then I intorduce it to higherlight without stepping it up slowly. I predict your plant will be fine.

I need to take some pictures of my "Black Dragon". I have a realy nice pitcher forming on my "Marbled Dragon" as well that needs to be photographed. My "Red Dragon" is putting along nicely too.

I will agree with Clint on the purple but not the white. If you look real close odds are the white is actually the result of small reflective "hairs". I get this on many of my Neps and as the pitcher developes then the hairs either space out or are "discarded" and the colour fades to be replaced by the typical colours.

umm... isn't that exactly what I said? Lol

Trichomes=plant hair

I said "The white color, If I had to make a hypothesis, is just an illusion. It is all of the trichomes bunched up in one area before the plant grows and they are dispersed. Also, the lower amounts of chlorophyll (and other pigments) in new tissue enhance the appearance of it being white. Light reflected makes it look that way, like the moon."

Not arguing or anything, but If I was mistaken i'd like very much to be corrected so I don't repeat false info :)

Ah cool. Sorta like how polar bears look white even though their skin is black and their fur is clear...

No CLint you were right I just missed that point and saw something about lack of chlorophyll. My brain musta been fragged

lol ok

Auctually that reminds me that I need to clean up my computer

Back