What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata...

At that Atlanta Botanical Gardens they have a few very large - and I assume old - truncatas that are flowering. They aren't vinning like the bicals, alatas, or any number of random highlanders in the next room.

I was drivin' through Atlanta two days after Christmas and it was freezing. I assume you guys are growing your Neps in a heated greenhouse. How ofetn do you have to use your heater? I know this has been a "mild" winter, but how often do you have to use your heaters? Can you get by with growing them outdoors all year long?

Lol, that's so sexy josh!

MFH My heaters are used every night. I have them set on a thermostat to come on when it gets to 60 or below. The lowest it gets is about 55 normaly. The high temps are 80 then the fans kick on. There would be NO way to grow them outdoors all year here.

Clint the two ladies at work callmed me perverted because I was looking at my truncata pictures. They said it looked like a sex toy for a guy!!!

LOL! They do look like giant condoms.

N. hamata must be what they use for condoms in hell. I'm sure of it!

Wow! My thread blew up! :D

Thanks for the pics of the truncataJB OrchidGuy... they were really useful.

Do any of you know where I can get a large, healthy plant like that?

This isn't a truncata, but I was wondering, is this about what they look like when they get REALLY big? Like a tree?

Nepenthes_rafflesiana_in_habitat.jpg

That's the other species I'm considering, but truncata is probably still number one.

it looks like N. raffelsiana to me

Do any of you know where I can get a large, healthy plant like that?
probably.....nowhere. if it was for sale you would have to pay some MAJOR $$$$. thats if you can find one. they wount have them for sale in nurseries so you would have to buy it off another grower.

and in that picture is N. raffelsiana. it can also grow and you climate and is equally beautiful!
Alex

probably.....nowhere. if it was for sale you would have to pay some MAJOR $$$$. thats if you can find one. they wount have them for sale in nurseries so you would have to buy it off another grower.

and in that picture is N. raffelsiana. it can also grow and you climate and is equally beautiful!
Alex

I knew it was raffelsiana, I got it off of the Wikipedia site from a search for it.

Basically, If I want a fairly mature plant, even one half the size of the one in the pics (about what I'm really looking for), I'm going to get my own baby one and be waiting awhile, huh? lol

Dammit, I'm impatient! LOL

waiting "a while"? Try a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong while (to get that big)...especially if its truncata

plants the size you want are not only hard to find, but expensive. I saw a fairly large truncata on ebay once...i think it sold for $90

These guys are like orchids inthat respect. If you want a lrge mature plant then you are going to have to pay for it. Unless you get lucky and get a trade or someone getting rid of a collection. They take a long time to get that size. But just as orchids. The larger they are the faster they grow I assume.

These guys are like orchids inthat respect. If you want a lrge mature plant then you are going to have to pay for it. Unless you get lucky and get a trade or someone getting rid of a collection. They take a long time to get that size. But just as orchids. The larger they are the faster they grow I assume.

I guess I'm in a good way when it comes to plants, if I come to the wife telling her I want a $90 truncataor a $125 hamata, she doesn't even blink. :boogie:

It's not like we're rich or anything, far from it... she's just thrilled I'm not pestering her about $3800 superchargers and the like for my car!! :jester:

LMAO Well I have to either trade or buy baby plants. I already know the answer to the question if I ask for something my car does not NEED. LOL Atleast at the momment. She lets me get away with some things, but if I splerge on plants. And we are talking about 50 to 60 bucks for 3 or 4 plants I ahve to get the money from either my savings or from birthday or something. LMAO If the bank account is looking right I can get a plant or two sometimes, but there is no way she would let me spend $125 for a hamata. I spent 96 on two orchids before and she about had a crap fit. The other thing is you have to find the plant for sale too. It is not everyday you will find large plants for sale.

I still remember when I tried to trade a ventrata for a predator or the hamata and truncata to try to make my own. The asking how he can get one that big reminds me of this. I didn't care what the lady said to me when I splerged and bought the $70 hamata or the other big orders.

LOL I hear ya. I just have to keep my wife happy. The fact is I do care what my wife thinks. Even though i think she is a tight wad sometimes. I will eventualy be able to get the thigns I want. I just have to have patience, and give her the security blanket of having a nice bank account. Don't get me wrong I love my plants and want to get all the species I like, but I will do it in time, since I love my wife more and I am not going to let me spending all kinds of money on a plant come between us. Especialy when I knwo i can save up the money in my savings and get it in a few months.

Yea maybe if I were married that might change it but we are not together anymore for other reasons then plants. So yeah, time to be 21 now.

Happy birthday!

You lucky Dog Murphy. Sometimes I wish I could be 21 and single again!! I would do things alot differently!

Apparently you people have never been to Forever 21.

Back