What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata...

Would this make an ok windowsill/ outside plant when acclimatized? From my research, it would seem that this is a good, hardy smart beginner's plant and it also has the benifit of looking "cool" in my opinion.

How close am I to hitting this nail on the head?

I don't have any experience with a N. truncata but I have heard exactly the same things you have mentioned. In fact, Sacc NW advertises the truncata as a good beginners nep that work well on windowsills. I positive it would work well for you; but I'll let an experience grower jump in to confirm.

xvart.

edit: just make sure you have a lot of room!

Last edited:
hope you have a big window...

Yes, I would agree the the common N. truncata (from T/C) is a good plant for someone new to nepenthes. I gave one to a co-worker and she kept it alive and it continued to pitcher. I would just make sure it gets enough light and use live LFS as a top dressing to help raise the humidity and to act as an indicator for when it is due to be watered again.

I tried it and while it didn't die it really took a long time to pitcher. I'm not sure if it was young but the pitchers were about 3 inches and then they started to die back. I moved it into my grow tank and now it's becoming a beast. I'm thinking the problem I had with it is not enough hours of light during the winter. Maybe the temps could have been better too. But I do have the Predator, ventrata, and a ventricosta by the window and even though the days are shorter they are pitchering. Does anyone know why this could be? Maybe because they are highland and like the cooler temps while the truncata is a lowland?

Thanks guys! You've been really helpful. When I go back to Florida in two years I think this is gonna get alot easier. lol

Pasian Highland truncata will thrive in typical highland conditions, and will survive temps between 104° and 34° (those are the absolute max and absolute min temps). Though it will take months to acclimate, it will pitcher in 20% humidity.

See guys, the great thing about N. truncata is that it's tissue is pretty much leather! Makes it great for a beginner and windowsill culture. They will acclimate but remember they are normally slow anyway :)

And when it starts to go from lower to uppper pitchers it gets a sexy waist to it too. Not as pronounced as lowii, but there none the less. Someone told me they look more majestic. I tend to agree. I will post some recent pictures. I am about to go take some now.

Hehe, I think I'm the only one who find N. lowii totally disgusting looking lol.

It looks like a deformed bagpipe.

I like Lowii myslef. I am just to scared to try it ATM.

Here are some pictures of my tuncata. Just taken today.

188892553O088329102.jpg

188892555O962351031.jpg

188892597O342821086.jpg

188892655O367803437.jpg

Ohhhh you TEASE!!!! C'mon man.. 4 shots of the bottom and NOTHIHNG of the peristome? Get a stepladder or a chair or something if you need it for cryin out loud. sheesh.. :-D

Steve

Nice pictures. Those pitchers look absolutely humongous! How big are they really? With such close up pictures I feel like I could fit inside that pitcher!

xvart.

So like those are inlarged pics right? Because I have both truncata and a predator and depending if truncata is in the black dragon I think I'm kinda screwed. Where can I move to to be able to keep them outside year round?

im pretty sure black dragon is izumiae x truncata

Kinda good and bad news. Nah I kid, I will find a way. I hope I can make space.

Since Steve called me a tease I felt like I should post some pics of what everyone likes to look at, the peristoma. Even though the purpose of the pics was to show the waist coming in and not the peristoma. :poke:

189178130O251312304.jpg

189178096O635710588.jpg

And the entire plant, if you notice it is inflating 2 new pitchers, in its 12 pot that I just found out needs to be repoted into a new 12 inch pot. This one is showing signs of sun damage. I just cracked the rim.

189178129O695981300.jpg

Not as big as some out there I am sure, but still a rather nice plant non the less if I do say so. Thanks again Clint for the trade!!

wow, that truncata is pretty filled in.
i kinda like how slow they grow, it gives you something to look forward to.

How big of a pot does a full grown truncata really take?

I dunno CPSinATL. I grow just about everything in 12 inch pots to give them room to grow. Some are in smaller slat baskets and mesh pots though. I too would liek to know how big a pot a full grown truncata really needs. Also to these guys vine regularly? I know LOL said on pitcherplant that they kinda start to look like a palm tree after awhile. Is that because of poor culture?

Back