What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Nepenthes from Phil's GH

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
One just can't go to Phil's and not be awed by his Neps. Unfortunately I did not get to take pics from the lowland chamber on this visit.. guess you are all gonna have to wait till I go back later this spring. In the meantime, these should hold you over. :)

Enjoy,
Steve

OK technically these are orchids, but I cant see making an entire thread in the orchid forum just for these 2 pics...
P1010015.sized.jpg

P1010016.sized.jpg

P1010024.sized.jpg

P1010027.sized.jpg

P1010028.sized.jpg

P1010029.sized.jpg

P1010030.sized.jpg

P1010031.sized.jpg

P1010032.sized.jpg

haha that one pic with the N. fusca(at least i think it is...) pitcher growing between the grates makes me laugh. id like to see what the outcome would be on that one! VERY NICE plants as always Phil. thanks for the photos vft guy in SJ!
Alex

Hahaha I believe you are correct that is N. fusca.. I defer to Phil for the final answer to that. We rescued that pitcher right after I took that pic. Funny part is neither of us noticed that when I took it. Its just blind luck that I got a shot of it at all. I was taking pics of something else when I happened to notice that poor trapped pitcher.

Also, in that same picture, do you notice the layer of styrofoam packing peanuts in the bottom of the pot? Phil uses those a lot in his Nep pots.

Cheers
Steve

Also, in that same picture, do you notice the layer of styrofoam packing paenuts in the bottom of the pot? Phil uses those a lot in his Nep pots.

As a part of the potting mix? It appears to just be at the base. Are there not chemicals that would break down and be toxic? Very interesting.

xvart.

I believe he mainly uses that as a bottom layer.. but I can not say 100% positive on that.

magnicent.

BEAUTIFUL!!! Seeing all those pics is making it pretty hard for me to wait for the $$ for my soon to be Nepenthes collection! Thanks for sharing them!

:0o: That tentaculata is very nice, I love the contrast between the pitcher colour and the inner surface

The N. "Red Leopard' looks like it's growing great!
Thanks for allowing these photos to be taken, Phil!
And thanks for taking them VFT Gut in SF!

Cheers,

Joe

The styrofoam packing peanuts are used at the bottom of the pots for facilitating rapid drainage only. The have never broken down and/or produced any toxic residue that I can detect. If anything...the plants perform far better with that extra air at their roots. Nepenthes fusca is an epiphyte and is accustomed to growing a little drier than most species.

Phil

Phil,
As always, dazzling plants grown to perfection!

Steve,
Thanks for sharing the photos.

(I've also used styrofoam peanuts for drainage for many years, with no sign of breakdown or toxicity.)

The have never broken down and/or produced any toxic residue that I can detect.

(I've also used styrofoam peanuts for drainage for many years, with no sign of breakdown or toxicity.)

That's good to know. I thought I remembered this one time when I put some packing peanuts in my mouth and they sort of dissolved... Maybe the chemicals and toxicity of my mouth dissolved the peanuts!

I might have to try that next time I get a package and my plants are a little bigger.

xvart.

Nice pics and plants. That collection must literly be worth hundreds.

Nice pics and plants. That collection must literly be worth hundreds.
LOL! Yeah...I would say at least that much.

xvart- The reason those packing peanuts disolved in your mouth was because those were not the styrofoam type but another variety made with corn starch. They're made to break down immediately upon contact with moisture. It makes them more ecologically friendly.

jorick- That plant you like so much is not N. tentaculata but rather N. mikei. Just the same...thank you for liking it. I enjoy it very much too.

Back