What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep sprouts?

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
So I have never attempted to grow anything from seed before; but, thanks to one of Tropics NOID nep giveaways I was lucky enough to receive "a few." I've heard it sometimes takes a while for seeds to germinate and start to grow, but what do they actually look like when they first start?

The reason I ask is because in my primitive seed growing setup I see some very small little green "lines." I've seen lots of cute little nep seedlings with tiny little pitchers, but what do they look like before this stage? I would bet that it is just some sort of moss growing; but, was hoping maybe this is just the seed starting the first bit of growth to set into the soil. I wish I could post a picture, but I don't have my camera right now. If this doesn't get solved I will try and get my hands on a camera to post a picture.

Basically, it looks like a tiny little green string a little less than a cm long. There are a few all over. Thanks for the help; and if they are actually neps starting growth and not some crappy moss I'll have a few to trade away later (much later! lol.).

xvart.

Thanks for that link. I guess I could've found that myself. I took a closer look and it is just moss, I think. How dissappointing. Oh well, it was a little too soon anyway. Thanks again, glider.

xvart.

Xvart, what conditions are you keeping your seeds in?
I too am going through my first Nep seed growing experience and even after reading tons of info I still don’t feel prepared! I am keeping my seed in a long rubber maid container that has a layer of peat moss at the bottom and thick layer of LFS at the top. I give them as much indirect sunlight and direct artificial light as possible. They are misted twice a day and kept on the “warm” side of my room. Oh yeah I keep the container covered at night. Hopefully I’ll have success with germination within a couple months…

joosa,

I converted some old distilled water containers (recycling baby!) into little containers with only LFS in it. I have these under four 4' florescent lights. Each container is in a larger plastic zip-lock bag to keep the moisture in. I first tried to keep them without the covers because I was worried about stagnant air but they were drying out too quickly; so, I take them out for a while each day (or every other day) for a while and circulate some air into the bags and around the plants. At the very least I open the bags and circulate some air every day. It's a pretty primitive setup; but, considering I don't have a lot of alternatives I hope it works. I just don't have the space necessary or the optimal conditions.

It's pretty time (and energy) consuming trying to germinate them this way; and I'm afraid that it won't work and I've spent this time wasting precious growing space. Who knows, it's kind of exciting, to say the least. Each day I hope for a little sprout, but I'm sure I won't see anything like that for months!

Keep me posted on how yours do. What are the parent plants of your seeds?

At least I know I can grow some sort of moss this way!

xvart.

The parent female was rafflesiana. The male plant is unknown, although it is highly likely that it was another rafflesiana… we’ll see.

At least I know I can grow some sort of moss this way!
Funny, that’s what I initially thought when I started mine… I’m like, “Heck, if this doesn’t work, at least I’ll have a good amount of live moss by the time spring comes around.”:-O
I wish you luck. If you do get sudden success by changing any of your growing conditions, make sure you let us know!

Hi Guys, bear in mind that nep seeds take at LEAST three weeks to sprout (and that's rocket-fast), and can take up to several MONTHS. Rule #1 with anything nep related: Patience is a virtue.

Hi Guys, bear in mind that nep seeds take at LEAST three weeks to sprout (and that's rocket-fast), and can take up to several MONTHS. Rule #1 with anything nep related: Patience is a virtue.

lol. Yeah, I knew they sometimes took forever, but I wasn't sure if they sometimes sprouted quicker. Three weeks minimum, eh? I think I can handle it. I'll wager it's going to be many months, though. Thanks, schloaty.

xvart.

The reason I ask is because in my primitive seed growing setup I see some very small little green "lines."
Yeah, I spotted some green coming up a couple days ago, but when I took a closer look it was just grass seedlings. :thumbdown:

Maybe its just my imagination but it does seem like the buldge in the seeds is swelling.

You Win XVART,
The seedling of nepenthes in the photos you have seen were mine.
Have fun with your little babies! ;)

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I am attempting to sprout several (@10) varieties using 3" clear fast food containers with tight fitting lids. I drilled holes in the top for some circulation. These are sitting in a standard 11x21" garden flat with 2 20W flourescent tubes laying across the flat. They are on 24hr light with a reptile heat mat underneath. The temps range from 82F - 95F as the mat cycles on/off hourly. I am using finely shredded LFS kept moist. I have had a few successes, but patience seems to be CRITICAL.

Keep us informed with your progress!

Keep us informed with your progress!

Will do! This will be the first place I tell!

They are on 24hr light with a reptile heat mat underneath.

Is 24 hr light critical? Mine are on 14 hours right now which will become 15 in the next week sometime.

xvart.

i've had seeds germinate in 2 weeks (fresh seeds of n. mira)

I got the same seeds are you xvart and I've been checking mine lots and also spraying them lots as well. I spray them every time it starts to get dry and then eventually the whole thing gets dry somehow so I use my professional CP watering container (a gatorade sports bottle) and just gently moisten the LFS with that, then I just keep misting it daily until it dries out again. I keep mine uncovered and I look at the seeds daily to see any little babies but none yet.

Mine are in....only 11 1/2 hour lighting?!!? Crap! *adds another 2 hours* Jeez I need to check that more often. x_x So mine are under 13 1/2 hours of lighting.. I'm not really sure that it matters that much but yeah the more the merrier I suppose.

I've also noticed that the little bulge in the center seems to be swelling a bit on some of the seeds but I fear that it is just my anticipation getting the best of me. :/

well the most important thing is freshness. If the seeds are more than a few weeks old (depdning on species), you probably wont get any germination, or will have a very low germination rate (like 4%). The way I do my seeds is by sowing them on a mixture of meat/perlite/vermiculite. In my opinion, sphag is a horrible medium for nep seedlings, not only can it choke out the seedling, but there will more than likely be root damage when you eventually repot. Also, the only pots ive ever had that sprouted liverworts were filled with sphag...but maybe thats not a problem for anyone else.

Anyway, I keep the pots very close to the lights (about 3"). I just have the pots in one of those plastic portable greenhouse things. I water every day to ensure the soil stays constantly moist, and every once in a while (though im not sure if this helps) mist all inside the greenhouse. I'd stay away from keeping the pots in ziplock bags or anything. Not only does it block out a significant (though not huge) amount of light, but a small, closed, damp environment is just asking to be plagues with fungi/liverworts/mold/etc

I keep temps about 74 in the day, and around 62 or so at night. Seeds are on an 16 hour photoperiod.

Right now I've got a few mira growing, a pretty good sized splendiana x rokko, and a bunch of other seeds that havent germinated yet (rajah, benstoneii, truncata, and some randomers)

meat huh? never heard that one... lol j/k ;)

hahaha whoops...should be peat...i was hungry when i wrote that i guess :(

well the most important thing is freshness. If the seeds are more than a few weeks old (depdning on species), you probably wont get any germination, or will have a very low germination rate (like 4%). The way I do my seeds is by sowing them on a mixture of meat/perlite/vermiculite. In my opinion, sphag is a horrible medium for nep seedlings, not only can it choke out the seedling, but there will more than likely be root damage when you eventually repot. Also, the only pots ive ever had that sprouted liverworts were filled with sphag...but maybe thats not a problem for anyone else.

Anyway, I keep the pots very close to the lights (about 3"). I just have the pots in one of those plastic portable greenhouse things. I water every day to ensure the soil stays constantly moist, and every once in a while (though im not sure if this helps) mist all inside the greenhouse. I'd stay away from keeping the pots in ziplock bags or anything. Not only does it block out a significant (though not huge) amount of light, but a small, closed, damp environment is just asking to be plagues with fungi/liverworts/mold/etc

I keep temps about 74 in the day, and around 62 or so at night. Seeds are on an 16 hour photoperiod.

Right now I've got a few mira growing, a pretty good sized splendiana x rokko, and a bunch of other seeds that havent germinated yet (rajah, benstoneii, truncata, and some randomers)
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to adjust my seed's conditions a bit.

im pround to announce that i have Nepenthes germination!!! it is N. Splendiana x Rokko. i was just about to give up when i noticed a root stalk coming out of it!! mine did the opposite of Mr. Aga's and made roots(or...what there is of them) before cotelydons! i may have another coming up so now i might have 2!! these seed were from Tropics.
Alex

EDIT: Forgot... mine were sown 1-04-07

Last edited:
Back