What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nepenthes ordered!

Hello all!

I am excited to report that my husband and I have ordered some Nepenthes that should be here in the next few days! currently we only have 1 nepenthes....N. ventrata and it is doing great. here is what we ordered:

Nepenthes x 'Judith Finn'
Nepenthes sanguinea
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes ventricosa - RED-PITCHERED variety.
Nepenthes madagascariensis

I wanted to get a 'Marbled Dragon' as it is my favorite so far but will make sure these do good first.

Well, just wanted to share my excitement, thanks for listening!

Cool. If your ventrata is doing well, all of those will do well, also. I wouldn't worry too much about the 'marbled dragon' since it is a hybrid, and easily adaptable. I have a 'black dragon' that is doing just fine next to my raff, ventrata, etc.

Hope they come in good condition and adjust well! You'll have to show us some pics!

xvart.

I will definatly post pics when they come! I am really hoping they come in good condition....I have never heard any positive or negative things about the place I ordered from but they were very friendly and helpful through emails so I am sure they will be healthy plants.

i gotta say. N. sanguine is one amazing nepenthes. its super fast, and super interesting! my avatar is of the biggest pitcher on it. 4 inches in length and the mouth is big enough i can easily stick my finger inside it. when it arrived back in the beginning of december it never skipped a beat and kept going. the pitcher on it was a little less than 2 inches. in a little more than 2 months it has grown 4 leaves(my ventrata didnt even grow that fast!) and 3 new pitchers(newest leaf just unfurlled) but...2in to 4in witn just 2 pitchers inbetween is amazing. i cant wait for the next one!
Alex

Hi Victoria,

Great news! Here's a little tidbit on the x 'Judith Finn': Even though the parents of this hybrid are both highland, I find that it grows best as a lowland. I have mine growing with my bical.....You will NOT be disapointed with this nep in the long term. As the plant matures, the pitchers get big ..... soda-can big!

They should grow great for you.

Good luck with N. madagascariensis, I cannot manage to keep it alive for more than 2 years, even in correct climatic conditions! Aim for lowland with that species.

Good choices and good luck. Nothing quite like waiting for new plants to come in the mail. The Marbled Dragon should be even easier to grow than the plants you ordered.

Thanks for all the tips!

I was greeted with a surprise from Jeremy (my husband) today.....he ordered me a 'Marbled Dragon'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He also ordered a spathulata x veitchii (x Judith Finn) for me so I will have to find out what requirements it has.

I was shocked! Jeremy isnt one to spend money on anything that isnt a necessity so him getting these for me was a HUGE shock!!!

I cant wait to get them in the mail! The order with 5 Nepenthes should be here either Fri or Sat but Im not sure when the other order will come.

so now you have 2 'Judith Finns'? awesome! marbled dragon is very pretty! it gets kinda big though.....
Alex

so now you have 2 'Judith Finns'? awesome! marbled dragon is very pretty! it gets kinda big though.....
Alex

How big does it get?

xvart.

I know that when full grown I probably wont have enough room for everything I plan on having....which is everythin, lol.....thats when Jeremy wont have a choice but to put a greenhouse up for me!!!

Yeah, I guess I do have 2 'Judith Finns'....trading material I guess, lol. I didnt realize that until I had posted and then it occured to me that I had already ordered that one, but I wont tell Jeremy that, lol.

Hi all:

I don't know about rafflesiana and madagascariensis, these are warmth loving plants. especially madagascariensis which dislikes cold weather.

Gus

Back