What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fusca and spectabilis

i just orderd them.

are they easy to grow on a windowsill?

my truncata is doing ok but im a little concerned.

it had money sving sorta stuff so i just ordered them

Gday leewoojin94
These two will not be easy windowsill plants...
They both like higher humidity, so unless your windowsill has this(and it probably doesnt) they probably werent the best choices. Youll need to cover them with a bag or something to keep it up.
They may adapt to lower humidity eventually but it will take time, lotsa time...

CPsInAtl gows both of them on his windowsill i believe. i know he grows N. fusca...i dont know about N. spectabilis for sure. i would suspect thenm to be easy enough. there is one place selling them that if you bought from them the neps you get will be ALOT easier to acclimate. the nep i got from them didnt stop growing. it went from them to a windowsill for about a month and still kept going. now because of winter its in a terrarium...never stopped :)
Alex

oh no!

i must somehow make the humidnity go up

:-(

BTW u can call me Danny, from Daniel which is my american name

Danny, to answer your question, we really need to know where you live - what are your ambient condidtions?

I see you are in NC, which means that you will most likely have two challenges - humidity in the winter season (heating really drys out the air) and cooling in the summer (these two plants like it to cool to below 60 at night).

ooh, im a terrible owner :-(

i think humidity is fine, cause my cephalotus is showing no ill effect.
actually, its humid and stagnant, so i always open my window to let
the cool night air come in. i bet at least a few degree will drop.
and i do have a ultrasonic humidifier.

the problem is cooling down in summer, which NC is very warm. :crap:

I don't grow spectabilis and fusca as windowsill plants but i do grow them outdoors and they do fine in my temperate climate. I think the trick to growing Neps as windowsill plants is adequate air movement. Plants tend to get too wet and can rot out. There's balancing all the factors of light, humidity, and temperature to your conditions. You'll have to experiment with these factors to find what works best for your location.

Good growin'
Joel
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

I do grow both on the windowsill. I got them in the fall and really am waiting on the spring/summer to see what they do. The fusca so far has been doing ok, and I have to specs. One is doing pretty good actually, and the other looks horrible. The jury is still out as to how they do, really...

Back