What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher dimorphism?

I have a question about Neps with dimorphic pitchers, particularly rafflesiana. When the plants start to produce upper pitchers, do they continue to produce lowers so that both types are on the same plant, or do the uppers completely replace the lowers?

Thanks!

goes from lowers, to intermediate(a mix in shape between the 2), then to uppers. the uppers do completely replace the lowers(and intermediates) if you have a raff that is making uppers. the only way you will get lowers is if you get a basal shoot.
Alex

No, afraid not. A Nepenthes plant is a vine. Once the plant germinated it produces a rosette and grows that way for awhile. This is when it produces lower pitchers.

Then the vine starts to elongate and intermediate pitchers form. These show the development from lower to upper. Then when the plant is in it's real vining stage uppers are formed. Once uppers are formed lowers will not grow on that particular vine. However, they do produce new rosettes at the bottom and underground and these follow the same circle of life as the original vine.

EDIT: Alex got it first :)

Actually, there are some exceptions when a cutting is taken. :nono: :-D

N. truncata is probably the most famous for "morphing" its pitchers after an upper vine cutting is taken. It can quickly go from pure upper pitchers (what msot people associate N. truncata with when a photo is seen) to lowers tublar and less showy, and even intermediates.

But on a plant with a vine, whatever its making it will still make and contrinue to make.

Thank you for the answers my friends. I guess to get the look I desire, I'll just have to get a second rosette going somehow. :)

I guess to get the look I desire, I'll just have to get a second rosette going somehow

One way to do this is to let the main vine hang down lower than the soil level (like in a hanging basket, just let it hang).

You mean before it starts to vine? If it can't grasp anything and climb then it will continue to put out "lower pitchers" because it is incapable of vining in it's current conditions?

xvart.

Nope. Once it reaches the vining stage it'll produce uppers. Some plants are finicky and need something to hold on to to really get going but not all of 'em.

N. campanulata doesn't vine at all :)

Nope. Once it reaches the vining stage it'll produce uppers. Some plants are finicky and need something to hold on to to really get going but not all of 'em.

So what was Schloaty talking about?

One way to do this is to let the main vine hang down lower than the soil level (like in a hanging basket, just let it hang).

xvart.

xvart: making a basal shoot. if you let the vine hang down a basal shoot would be made.
Alex

Back