What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.muluensis x lowii media?+GH picks.

Hears a pick of the recent change to the indoor greenhouse. I added a 400w MH light. The neps stopped pitchering, I think because of the lack of quality light. I had the greenhouse in front of a pitcher window but I think the green stripes in the covering was limiting the light getting in. They are bouncing back and starting to get new pitchers again after about 3 weeks.

P2220124.jpg

P2220123.jpg

P2220127.jpg

I had a little bout with spider mites and it really set the N.muluensis x lowii back.
I have them planted in LFS and a 1-1 LFS and perlight water with RO and 60% +- RH.
I think I have about 4 of them.
What is a good mix to use for these, they are small only about 1-2" across.
Thanks
Stephen

I love it! how did you build the greenhouse? did you make the plans for it? How much did the light cost? sorry about the bombardment of questions...I've been ineterested in building a bigger one for myself...lol anyway I think it's way cool.

How big is that grow space please ?

Im after a light for my 8x6 and dont know how much light I would need to light the whole space.

Joel

I had a little bout with spider mites and it really set the N.muluensis x lowii back.
I have them planted in LFS and a 1-1 LFS and perlight water with RO and 60% +- RH.
I think I have about 4 of them.
What is a good mix to use for these, they are small only about 1-2" across.
Thanks
Stephen

I use mostly cypress bark mulch with live LFS on top. I have a little bit of peat/perlite thrown in to fill in some of the air gaps.

Here is a picture of one of the pitchers:

muluxlowii.jpg

Dave, what conditions is your muluensis x lowii in?

The GH is 6x6x7"hi.
150$ at Canadian tire it works great indoors, out it may be a little week in the wind.
I would think a 400w would do for neps. Next step is a 1000w It may be a little over kill. Especially on the pocket book to pay the power bill.

How about light and humidityDave? I did repot one of them the other day. I purchased them this summer. It didn't look like the roots had grown at all. The LFS perlite may not be airey enough for them.
Thanks for the replys.

Thank you ...

I think I would need 2 x 400w however this wont be a problem :)

Joel

How about light and humidityDave?

I grow mine with 80%+ humidity in a terrarium with four tubes of cool white T8 32-watt fluorescent light about 25 centimeters (10 ") above the plant. The temperature hovers around 13C (55F) in my basement.

I experiemented with less light and humidity and the plant did not pitcher as well.

The purple color inside the pitcher makes this one of my favorite neps.

Cindy,

How are your highland neps doing? If they are doing OK, I would try this one.

That looks lovely, but isn't it dangerous to have the MH bulb in there, exposed tot he humidity?

Cheers,

Joe

It’s never really concerned me. It never gets wet or even damp. The ballast is not in the GH. Now the negative ion generator in the air filter on the other hand will give you a surprise on occasion.:)

Dave, no highland survived my conditions so far. I am in constant 30+C (90+F) nearly year round. Surprising, the muluensis x lowii is producing good sized leaves at my balcony where I grow the rest of the Neps. The leaves are turning to face the light so I guess it can take more light.

N. sibuyanensis is threatening to croak on me already. The leaves produced are not unfurling. :-(

Back