What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The other day I was sitting at my desk doing something very uninteresting, so my mind wondered onto the subject of nepenthes, as it often does...
I started to think about the real "classic" nepenthes that you see in nearly every bodies collections because they are in a way the cream of the crop.
I started compiling a list in my mind of just which species these were. It proved however to be a very difficult task. So I decided to post here to get other peoples opinions of which species are in their minds the real classics or must haves.
Heres my little, very incomplete list of the classic highlanders, since I dont grow lowlanders ...
I think the list was something like this...
the list:
N. maxima
N. alata
N. ventricosa
N. fusca
N. ramispina
N. veitchii
N. stenophylla
N. lowii
N. eymae(?)
N. truncata
N. sanguinea
N. copelandii(?)
And everyone has tried these at least(whether they succeeded or not LoL)
N. rajah
N. hamata
N. aristolochioides
Please tell me what you think i should add and what maybe shouldnt be there...

Sanguinea
maybe Copelandii (Spelling?)
And of course...
...Truncata

I agree about sanguinea and truncata, but am unsure about copelandii, nevertheless i put it there...

When I hear classic nepenthes I think of what used to be common 10 years ago. Like N. mirabilis, rafflesiana, and khasiana... maybe N. madagascariensis. N. bicalcarata is becoming pretty standard in lowland collections too.

Peter

I believe that the single most classic Nepenthes of all is the ventricosa, hands down. It's name is classic, it looks classic, it's growing conditions are classic, and classic classy people have it...Classic...

I'd say that list would be more "modern classic" than "original classic".

A modern classic would be N. ventricosa.
An original classic would be N. x Mixta or N. rafflesiana, N. veitchii, something like that.

To me, classic means Victorian.

Plants like N. ventricosa and N. sanguinea are staples :)

I guess everyone has their own def of classic. For me it's all the common ones you could get when you started-sorry, when I started(@1980). N. gracilis,mirabilis, amp, maxima, khasiana, alata and, of course, ventricosa.
???

Cheers,

Joe

gracilis is considered the begining lowlander in Korea

I do beleive that burbidgea is a "classic" highland nep - it was the nep to have before rajah became the nep to have.

Back