What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New experiment. I'm going crazy.

:crazy: Well in my new experiment to make this hamata, tentaculta and muluensis x lowii grow besides going crazy I've made a semi grow tank. I had a seed flat and a humidity dome. I cut the top off the dome for airflow. I put them in there so they are well covered by the dome. I put some wet LFS on the bottom. The thing that I think will make this work is they are by my window that will be cold at night. It should dip into the 60's. If not I will open it up. I like the cold anyways. My predator, ventricosa, and ventrata all are pitchering there. The only this is that they will have a shorter photoperiod and maybe not as strong light as the grow tank had 2 23 watt CF. But like I said the others are pitchering. It should get about 10 hours maybe of light with some direct mourning light. The grow tank I have at about 14 hours. I could though get a light to put above them for a little more/stronger light. Would you give up a little light for cooler temps for these divas? I really think I'm going crazy here. Any suggestions to help me stay out of the loonybin would be great.:crazy: :headwall:

i did that to a hamata and it died.
watch out.

personally, i grow everything on a year-round 16 hour photoperiod. Try that and see if anything works out.

don't change more than one variable at a time, because if it messes up, you'll never be able to tell waht you did wrong.

My advice for the muluensis x lowii is to put it in brighter light (or closer to the lights), keep its conditions as stable as possible (though that plant isn't very picky at all with the conditions, as long as theyre stable), and besides watering it, totally forget about it. Mine started to decline once, so I kept trying to change things to try to make it better. It ended up getting worse (probably because I changed the conditions wayyy too often i.e. more than once every 3 months), and I eventually totally gave up on it and put it in my terrarium, but kept watering it. Now its growing faster than ever before, and is producing 3pitchers at once

But I thought they need the lower temps. It's been in that grow tank for months now and it only a couple leaves.

There's been some talk about LED lighting on the boards lately... definitely something for you to look into for these plants. LEDs put out virtually no heat, and the conversion bulbs like swords was talking about are very easy to set up and move, so you have some options for moving your setup around. But phissionkorps is right, be especially careful while changing things, and try to make changes one at a time and slowly.
~Joe

PS - Relax! Hobbies are supposed to be fun. Take a deep breath, do a little research and enjoy learning how to raise your plants. At the very worst, you learn from your mistakes and buy another plant for $20 when your setup is ready for it. Even if they aren't pitchering, you probably aren't killing them outright; you've got plenty of time.

Well I was thinking of putting a light over them so they only change would be the temperature. Plus this light over them without the glass to hold the heat in it shouldn't get too hot right? That way they have their bright light, lower temps and higher humidity. The muluensis x lowii was pretty much free because the place messed up but the hamata was like 70 and the tentaculata was i think 40. So you can see why I wanna make this work. I'm learning a lot though. It is kinda fun but not really. When I see a pitcher it will be fun. Just like all that work for the predator and now there is a pitcher and a new one growing.

Back