What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trap Closing

• Thread starter abcat1993
  • Start date
This is probably really obvious but how do you stop it from closing or open it when it does?

Nepenthes traps dont close, unless you are talking about the humidty thing. If they are in lower humidity they will have the traps more closed to keep the fluid from evaporating. The more humid the more it is open.

Well, when I got it 6 hours ago, it was open, now it is just barely open and the humidity is ~85%.

The plant is probably shocked from transport, handling and planting. As long has you have good growing conditions setup for it, just give it time to adjust to its new home and recover on its own.

Yeah, I usually see significant decline in the pitchers that the plant arrived with no matter what. They often don't immediately start to rot, but you can definately see the difference between the handling and the fresh growth once it has settled in. What kind of nep is it? How big?

xvart.

I have noticed that mirablis and ventricosa closed their lids when they are under water-stress (lack of water). Once you gave them back sufficient water it will open.

My friend also the same thing on his rafflesiana and raff x mirabilis.

Choong

AK:
Yes nepenthes traps do close.
Even such as my small lowii and my bongso has closed.

Pluto, I had thought he was talking when they catched prey. NOT the humidity thing. Which I saw happen with my neps before.

abcat, What kinda nep is it?

I always fill pitchers of new plants with water.

Don't do that once they get settled in.

OK, finally, after a long day of school and my sister playing toontown for 1.5 hours, I can go on. Anyway, it is a ventricosa "red" (Don't know if that makes a difference). Can you open them with your fingers or tweezers or something? And why do you fill them with water? To regain some of the lost fluids in there or what?

Well if you were shipped across the country in a box then you'd want some water, too.

You can also gently tap the pitchers to simulate a bug being trapped. This sends a signal to the plant to produce more digestive fluids (although not a lot) so filling the pitchers about a third of the way will help it.

xvart.

You have to swirl it like a fine Merlot.

Can you just pull it up and stick a bug in. The biggest one is only about 1 inch tall, but a few more are growing.

Like I said before, just water the plant and within a couple of hours the lid will open.

Choong

Yeah, I think you are a little too concerned with a couple pitcher lids. Just let it be and the next ones will be fine. They are probably just shocked from travel. Patience, grasshopper.

xvart.

Yeah, I'm just a noob at CPs so I will listen to practically anybody

lol. You've come to the right place! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when the first pitcher completely grows under your care and opens up! Keep us posted and if you think there may be something else wrong we'll try and help troubleshoot it. Like I said, I have my neps under florescent lights, but I grew my first N. x ventrata by my window and it gave a few pitchers off right there. I think you'll be fine!

xvart.

Back