What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sanguinea bleeds

Is it called N. sanguinea because of the color of the pitchers or because it bleeds real blood?

N-66.jpg

N-67.jpg

Max

Whoa! That's something you don't see every day. None of my sanguinea ever do that... They get dewy but I've never seen nor heard of pigmented nectar. I take it those are uppers? How big is that mesh in the background for scale?
~Joe

Joe, these are about 7-8 inch pitchers - and yes they are uppers. I got the red nectar on the lowers, too but not as much as the one pitcher above. I haven't seen it bead up like that. This plant is very happy these days so I think it's showing off.

Capslock

Nice. I have four or five sanguinea in a big group pot (freebies from a certain domestic CP vendor) and the largest pitchers thus far have been about 6" or so... still no uppers, sadly. I'll keep a closer eye on it and see if any of mine have red nectar, but I think I would have noticed by now if any of mine did that. Does the red nectar come from the peristome exclusively or is all the plant's nectar red? My sanguinea only produce visible amounts of nectar from the leaves and the undersides of the lids, so that could be it.
~Joe

Hmm... a little early for april fools, don't you think? ;)

Looks like it chomped on somebody. :alien:

my N. sanguinea orange produces that colored necter sometimes. weird. the only thing I don't like about the plant is that it produces so much necter that it will drip and get on anything surrounding it. N. sanguinea is my favorite nep that I own.

I just think he used red food coloring. Just kidding that's pretty cool though. My sanguinea grew the fastest of all my neps until I got my black dragon.

woah! i have an N. sanguinea orange form. is that what yours is? thats almost creepy.
Alex

I also have an orange sanguinea, mines a lot smaller though. o.o;

And mines doing quite crappily right now though. >_>

You should try and find out what that "blood" is.... though I wouldn't recommend a taste test. x_x

heck. id try it :)
Alex

Isn't this some religious sign? Kind of looks like the crown of thorns....and isn't this occuring during Lent?

:0o:

Maybe I better go to church this Sunday...

Cheers,

Joe

Mine does the same on its lowers. Once it started producing more "adult" pitchers, they all have been doing that. I do not know if it matters, but it is the "orange" variety - or at least it was sold as that.

i dont know, but maybe it's some kind of bug that drank nectar and left

a dookie? -_-;; (sorry)

Griffin//

u mean stigmata? usually catholics get it

MMmmmm Nepenthes juice!

Reminds me of Dragons Blood resin.

The amount of drip is ok and also familiar to me.
About the red nectar as the others already said...it is something that you don't see every day!

Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Sweet ! I can only hope that mine will do the same... Maybe then I can tell people that my plant ate a cow :-D

Back