What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a new nep at lowes

I got a new nep at Lowes today. It was in a cuve with a VFT and a sundew. Someone told me I should remove it and repot it. What mixture should I use? I only have perlite peat and i have long dried spag lying around somewhere that I dont know where. I wont be able to buy more soils or anything for a while. I also plan on putting it outside. So should it get shade any?( Sorry,.......ill always be a noob. lol) Would that be okay? I live in Okaloosa county FL btw incase yall were needing to know.

Also what kind of Nep would this be?

Either N. ventricosa or N. x ventrata.

My favorite mix is 1/1/1 perlite/bark/lfs. What mix you should use is dependent on your conditions. 1/1 perlite/LFS is good, too. Or even just LFS for this.

Id put it in bright shade and once it gets some size and you feel comfortable then you can start moving it into brighter and brighter conditions.

Oh yeah, since it was in a cube, you might want to harden it off before you do anything.

I would guess Nepenthes Ventricosa

What do you mean by harden it off?

I mean open the cube a little bit at a time over the course of a month.

If you've already opened it up and fried them go ahead and put them up and stick them outside I guess. I don't harden anything off if it makes you feel better. I'm abusive.

I don't harden anything off if it makes you feel better. I'm abusive.
I don't either. Once the weather warms up enough, I hang them (3 N. ventricosa) out in my apple tree. They do better out there than in my house.

I potted the nep in ~half perlite and ~ peat due to me not having spag. The VFT is in all peat and the same is with the dew. Though they all have some spag in the mixed which is what was with the cube. I think it was either this thread or another thread that said that the nep should have shade. Well I put it behind some pots where it will be shaded but still get some sun. Though it may not have much shade at certain times of the day. ??? I try....

I've never been able to grow D. adelae in anything other than LFS or LFS and perlite. Good luck!

Those cubes are nothing but trouble, I would even repot the other plants while you're at it.

I have one of those plants also. I am not sure what kind of nep it is yet either. I though it was ventricosa, but the pitchers aren't like my ventricosa in my living room. I guess I have to wait for it to size up a bit.

Yeah...all those cube things are death. Some of the plants they put in there can't even grow together. They are meant to be aesthetically pleasing, but they look like crap after being in there for a while. It doesn't help that the Lowe's people are clueless as to how to take care of them. My more "humanitarian" side has gotten the better of me upon occasion. I've bought some of these really poor looking plants simply to rescue them. God knows I don't need any ventratas, judith Hindles, or primulifloras.

I bought two and then made the mistake of taking them off right away, ripping one out of the dirt, then not putting them in the terrarium. Now they're doing okay though.

Back