What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLant question!!! NEW** (pictures)

• Thread starter j_pastrana
  • Start date
This is my plant but i wanna know how many time takes to my plant to get her pitcher bigger?

P1010694.jpg

P1010695.jpg

your plant seems pretty young still, so...a long time. They are slow growing when they are juvenile.

Also, do you know what species it is?

i dont know what kind of tropical pitcher it is ???

its from lowes(mine looked like it) its either N. ventrata or ventricosa. does anyone know which is actually sold in lowes cubes?!
Alex

I don't suggest having time release fertilizers in a classic style terrarium, especially one that can't be flushed and where you have multiple genera with totally different requirements. Not a good idea, really.

I never would have noticed the fertilizer, but yea, most carnivorous plants don't like fertilizer.

I disagree. I should save my reasoning in a file and copy and paste it lol.

Most CP's benefit from it, but I do not recommend putting time release pellets in THAT particular setting, especially with a newbie (no offense intended).

By the way, you don't have to put NEW** in all the thread titles lol.

It was to my understanding that CP's don't like fertilizer at the roots. So if it's in small amount it's ok? Is the time release bad in a terrarium because it will gradually build up?

It was to my understanding that CP's don't like fertilizer at the roots. So if it's in small amount it's ok? Is the time release bad in a terrarium because it will gradually build up?

Again, if you are very careful and know what you are doing you can put some fertilizer in the soil. However, I am neither careful nor do I know what I am doing so I avoid this. It's not necessary by any means to fertilize any neps. Some people apply some fertilizer to the leaves of neps; but again, this is not necessary for vibrant and beautiful plants. They do just fine with water and the household bugs they will catch. Steer clear of fertilizers if you are worried about doing it wrong, it's not really worth it unless you are a nut, like Clint :-)) !

edit: the problem with slow release fertilizers is because, like you said, it builds up and you have no practical way of knowing how much is released. With bog-like CPs that sit in trays of water, the fertilizer has no way to exit the pot so it just sits there and then eventually fries the roots. If you have neps in a pot, it will come out the bottom when the pot drains; but, since yours is obviously not in a pot, it won't ever drain.

xvart.

Just throw some in a 16 ounce spray bottle! Eyeball it like me!

Ok, just kidding. This is a "do as I say and not as I do" kind of thing. For now you should be fertilizer free and replace all of that medium. One day you will probably go to the dark side and start fertilizing, and just remember that less is more.

I never used fertilizer, just curious. Why would you, just toss a cricket in the tank and if they get caught, survival of the fittest, if not the plant will still live.

For neps, I actually use a special nep pellet fertilizer I get from a certain on-line nursery.

My ventricosa went from seed to flowering in 2 3/4 years. I'd say that's pretty good.

that is really good for flowering

your sig is hilarious btw

Back