What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whistling Ventricosa

OK, you'll probably think I'm crazy, but whatever. I was trying to put milk in my ventricosa, but didn't have an eyedropper so I got a straw. I did the thing where you stick one end in then stick your finger on the other end so it doesn't come out, then put it in the hole. As I was doing it I realized nothing was coming out so I started to blow the milk out, and it started whistling. However it was a strange looking trap:
MattsPics796.jpg

As you can tell the lid is messed up and it has been like that since I got it.
:boogie: :boogie:

Can somebody move this to the nepenthes section? Thanx

Probably damaged or stressed in shipping; unless you got a mutant TC clone... But, I doubt it. Is there another one forming that looks more normal?

The hole doesn't look too big on that trap, and you should be careful when dropping milk into a trap because if it doesn't all fall into the juices in the bottom of the trap the milk will dry and rot the trap pretty quickly.

Also, don't overdo it on the milk. None of my neps have mature sized traps, most are around the size of my thumb or a little bigger. I use a syringe to dispense milk and only one little drop or two (depending on the size of the first drop) is all I use.

Afterwards you should shake or jiggle the trap, to stimulate a bug being caught and trying to escape. This triggers the plant to create the digestive juices.

xvart.

looks like my TC mutant...
IMG_0618.jpg

Alex

ive got a seed grown ventricosa that looks like that................as xvart said more than likely its a stresser of some sort alot of my neps do it when moved from an area of high humidity to one with low while the particualr pitcher is developing........after a couple leaves its used to the conditions and new normal looking ones are produced

Moved to the correct forum with a temporary re-direct left in the Sarracenia forum so people know what happened. Thanks to the member that notified me.

@Xvart: Yes, it's making (and has made) normal pitchers with fully functional lids.

@Glider14: Were they all like that? That would be kind of cool actually.

Back