What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep pots

I started to mention this in another thread but decided to put it here.

There is a garden center near me with two very large N. mirandas for sale. It is only a matter of time before at least one of them is in my posession and today I noticed that they are planted in 8" hanging pots with the white plastic insert at the bottom effectively plugging up the drainage holes.

Now I've read all along about how drain holes are a must and now I've seen a plant with a forearm length leaf and full sized basal shoot in an undrained pot. Perhaps they just potted it before shipping, but I doubt it. Perhaps it is just a matter of time before it catches up to the plant. Considering the tag says "bright conditions but no sun" I wouldn't be surprised if it has been like this for a while.

SO...what would the ramifications be to using a pot without holes but filling the bottom with a couple of inches of charcoal or bark? I'll repot in a proper container, but I'm just curious.

SO...what would the ramifications be to using a pot without holes but filling the bottom with a couple of inches of charcoal or bark? I'll repot in a proper container, but I'm just curious.

Ramifications? None. Just don't over water a ton. Obviously it has done well so far so it must be okay. I doubt you would even need to put the charcoal in the bottom just as long as you don't drench the thing with a gallon of water.

xvart.

those white pots they come in have good drainage. the plastic insert goes goes in the drainage holes, but are shaped in a way they still let water flow out the bottom

Back