What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to know if...

MrFus

Do you like that...
Is there a way to know if the plant is going to grow pitchers on the leaves...

I know the humidity, temperature and light are important factors on the nepenthes for the develop of pitchers, I have keep on my belli the humidity on 90+- with a temperature on the day of 80+- degrees and on the night arround 73+-, well at this point my bellii has been growing good, new leaves, good green color, you can se clearly the tendril.

How I can know if the leave is going to develop the pitcher or if need someting (a little push!!!) to keep going on the good way and surprise me one morning with a small pitcher?

You can't rush these plants. Give it time and it will start producing pitchers.

If it's recently planted it may be focusing on root growth right now. N. bellii is notoriously temperamental when disturbed.

You can really only tell if it's going to make a pitcher after it started making one, as long as the conditions are kept the same and it doesn't get a disease or root rot.

Well... that is correct, Im really impresed on the fact the bellii do so good after the transport and 2 days on my mom house with no too much care... I hope soon show some pitcher, even if is a small one it will make me happy.

How much lighting are you providing for it? Mine are all ''room temp'' and in front of a window sill. The only time they don't pitcher, other than shipping shock is when the natural photoperiod is at its lowest (fall & winter).

At this point the bellii get the regular time of natural light that is here arround from 7am to 6 pm +-, my plant is located on my kids room, the room have 2 big windows so the plant is exposed all the day...

I think my bellii is still "scare" from the trip from store to house (UPS), I will increse a little bit the humidity, and will set a pair of flourescents to increse time (at less 10 hours will be ok or not?) and amount of light.

I'd increase it slowly to 16 from whatever your at. But no, 10 hours is not enough unless it's the middle of winter.

I'd increase it slowly to 16 from whatever your at. But no, 10 hours is not enough unless it's the middle of winter.

Yeah, just give it an extra hour every week until you get to 15 or 16. I think my timer is at 14 hours, but I have other stuff besides neps under them.

xvart.

I will get my lights and a timer and i will set it to 11 for 2 weeks, then 13 for another 2 weeks and finally 15 hours... and on the winter i will go down at 11 only to give rest to my bellii...

You'll see little "hooks" at the end of the leaves and those will grow into pitchers.

Mine, in an even earlier phase, are just long stubs of hairyness.

Thanks guys, well I hope soon my bellii show some progress... I mean at this point the most rescent leave looks diferent at the tip on relation to the last 2 my plant get after come home... so maybe this one will be the ONE!!! (the tip is still to small to describe with more relevant details, but i can see it have like some sort of mini spikes or some like, a diference to the others one that just have a small "ball" at the end with no signal of this structures)

yeah just dont rush it. ive never grown bellii but ive had plants not even noticed they were moved(ventrata) to pouting for a month everytime its moved and then growing like mad(bongso) to pouting for 6-8 months and do NOTHING for that period of time(amp) it varies with species and individual plants............just give it some time........

I guess the fact of how old was the original plant from were my cut comes have a lot to do with how long will take for the nepenthes to develop pittchers as the strength of the plant too.

Patience. It'll form pitchers in the right conditions.

I have a N. medusa (Bellii x Sibuyanensis) and it has one long blood red tendril in the J position. It did nothing for nearly a month, then I cut one of it's growth points off and put it in water for it to root, and then it produces a very tiny leaf compared to the others with no J for a hook. My N. ventricosa likes pouring out leaves J'ed with about 50% room humidity, next to light, and is growing fast I've had it for two months. I've been patient with the pitchers. How long have you had the bellii? It's not going to grow pitchers in 3 days you know.

In fact, I've never had a Nepenthes thats pitchered before.

mmm... like 2 moths, when I get it my bellii the cut already have on the bottom leaves the tendril and a small pitcher... the sad part is the fact this leaves was the ones that more suffer of the shock of the transport and the process to acclimatize to the house and get +-60% dry... so the tendril and the pitcher die.

The next pair of leaves just get dry only on the tip, actualy my belli get 2 more leaves that are entirely green with no problem, show some kind of tendril, have a clear orange color, no too long and with a small round tip at the end.

The new leave has come out a couple of days ago, and show the same kind of structure than the previous ones, but this one show kind of "spikes" on the "ball" at the end of the tendril (what after read the post of jimscott I could suspect can be a pitcher...)

Last edited:
It may not be clear from the pictures, but perhaps you discern leaves at various stages of pitcher development:

Strausplants0241.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

my belli is doing the exact same thing. I got it a couple months ago...its grown a couple leaves with vines and very tiny brown "hooks" at the end, but i have yet to see any pitchers. I'll post pictures if it starts to pitcher. if you could let me know if yours does anything, that'd be great.

wow... your nepenthes looks gigantic against my poor bellii...

But im really optimistic to my bellii, I'm really pleased with the fact she (im not sure if is she or he but sounds better she on my opinion) recover really good from the transport, plus on the same day when the UPS guy deliver the box I was moving to my new home, so the poor spend 2 days on my moms house with no control on moisture or nothing (my mom put it on a plastic bag to keep the moisture)...

I will be patient to my plant, and even i will try to take pictures of the leaves on the process sice the first ones that she get until she get pitchers, so this information can help new people to dont get too worried on the begining and see the signals of healthy leaves ready to develop pitchers.

Neon-Eon: Sometimes the brown ones do grow (or they just look brown and are actually dark red). Or the opposite, like on one of my Lowe's ventricosas, it has some green ones that are doing nothing.

Back