What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new (supposedly) N. miranda

I just got this at the nursery for 30$, a little steep but the pitcher could eat my biggest nepenthes so I don't care:
Picture126.jpg

There was another one with bigger pitchers but I knew this one would barely fit so here's its biggest one:
Picture127.jpg

One without flash:
Picture122.jpg

One problem though, I don't have a clue where to put it. I have one of those metal racks you buy at Target for my other ones but I can't really hang it right and still get a lot of light on it. And I have two plants in there so should I repot them separately?

Let them grow together - if you separate them, they'll just get bigger. You might look for a bright window to grow it in, or if you have an empty shelf on your rack, adjust it so that the plant is at a good distance and light that shelf too. If it dangles too low to rest on the rack and needs to hang, go to the hardware store and get a section of chain to hang it by. For what it's worth, if you can keep up with the humidity and watering requirements, the plant can probably deal with sub-optimal light. Neps can be grown successfully with one variable a little off (temperature, light, etc.) so long as you get all the other ones right. It will grow a little slower than it would otherwise, but Neps - particularly hybrids - are hardy if you don't disturb them too much.
~Joe

thats some maxima hybrid, but i dont think its miranda

Whatever it is, I like it. Much better than my ventricosa (so far, maybe I'll it'll be comparable when it gets bigger). I have some small lights (one of which is a quarter as bright as it should be unfortunately) that would total up at 58 watts that I could put over it.

looks just like my miranda..i like them cause they grow fast and get huge pitchers..my largest pitcher is over a foot long and almost 5" dia..
rich

Last edited:
How old is it and how long have you had it? Unfortunately If I hang it, it would be one of the only plants on that shelf, unless I hang it from the ceiling (not going to happen). And what do you feed a pitcher that big? Rats? I guess I could feed mine pinkies.

miranda

i bought mine just like you from home depot..it looked really bad..i got it for $10 2yrs ago..i have 4 of them..all large plants..some i split up and 1 i didn't..if you really don't have alot of room for it i'd split it up and stake it up..if you split it, it will take longer for it to stat producing big pitchers..mine catch there own gnats and flies..i have feed crickets before..just feed it (if you decide to) feed 1 cricket to each pitcher once a month..they don't need alot feeding..i haven't feed mine in over 1 yr..no reason to..heck em out here: http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/blkauratus/?sc=1&multi=15
rich

Yeah, that's a N. Miranda.
I bought one in the same pot with 2 plants and about the same price.
What I'm currently doing is growing them outside, and I've been noticing that since the heating up of the atmosphere it's been inflating some of it's pitchers

Well, I moved my newt's tank and hung it where it used to be from the top shelf on the rack. The only problem is I don't have room for what was on the bottom rack anymore (random junk). And my dad stepped on the reddest, biggest, about to inflate pitcher on the plant :censor:. All I need now are some new lights (I'm thinking about compact fluorescents to increase my space up there).

I feel your pain. The ONLY think I don't like about nepenthes is that most of them get big.

Then again they are vines... I can't ask for too much. They make up for it, though.

This is exactly what I've been slobbering over at a local garden center. They have three of them and 2 pots have 2 plants in it.

Upon leaving the center the first time, I called Sarracenia NW to get a crash course on Nepenthes Miranda growing to see if it was possible. Jacob answered and told me to put it in a west facing window without cover and let is bask. In the summer I should take it outside since the Ohio heat and humidity should make for a happy plant.

This plant seems to be making the rounds to the garden centers...lucky for us!

Well, I guess I won't need THAT much more lighting since I'm assuming Ohio isn't that much different from Chicago so I'll put it outside in the summer, and have it under 58 watts of fluorescents and a west facing window in the winter, fall, and spring.

I've decided I want to separate them, so is there any special way to do this or should I just dig it up like most other plants and put it in it's new one? Will the roots from both plants be stuck to each other?

Some nectarish stuff I think:
Picture132.jpg

I've decided I want to separate them, so is there any special way to do this or should I just dig it up like most other plants and put it in it's new one? Will the roots from both plants be stuck to each other?
Bump ??? ???

Bump, again, hopefully I'll get some answers by the time I get back from Mehico (how do they spell it?) :D ???

Just sterilize a blade, decide where you'll cut, seperate the root mass into two halves, and slice. Don't be afraid to hurt it.

Soak them in a superthrive solution if you want.

mejico.

i think when you separate basals the general rule of thumb is to wait 2-3 months after their emergence, then just kinda dig them up and separate them. Their roots are the same roots, so...give some to the bigger plant and some to the basal
(im pretty sure theyre the same roots, if not...its easier)

OK, thanks, I'm sure it's over three months old because it's huge (for me anyway). Now, just to find another hanging pot.

And what do you feed a pitcher that big? Rats? I guess I could feed mine pinkies.

When I was glancing through this post I thought I saw twinkies! It's a nice looking plant you have.

xvart.

Back