What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Hamata tips plz

Meaven: if you can grow hamata with a bicalcarata.... :hail: :hail: . ill get my hamata sooner or later...ill be getting a job soon so we will see :D
Alex

i just got mine for a butt-load....but it was worth it :woot:

from what ive seen hamata isnt difficult to grow just difficult to get your hands on.............

when theyre young (less than 6" across), they are hard to grow because you have to keep their conditions constantly favorable and stable. Also, when young they are prone to up and die from shipping shock, even if shipped potted.

when theyre young (less than 6" across), they are hard to grow because you have to keep their conditions constantly favorable and stable.

young grasshappa, i will let you in on an old indian trick some white guy showed me........ziplock bags :D

And maybe an AC thing and a heater.

mines doing great in my basement........stays in the 65-75 degree range.........

ziplock bags are a bad idea...i'd definitely stay away from them. They have a tendency to get too wet inside, but even if they didn't, damp, stagnant air is a horrible idea as it is going to host a slew of unwanted organisms

my hamata's been inside one for over a year................my aristo spent 6 months in one till i was sure it was rooted.......my jac, rajah and lowii are currently in them aswell.

small pots and 1 gallon ziplocks do wonders aslong as your using flourecent light, just damp LFS for soil and open them about once a month to check on them.....................1 gal ziplocks are a valuble tool for me..................

i have a 25-gallon terrarium with a lid open about half way...do u think that will work ok?

Don't the ziploc bags get kind of hot with all that light right above it?

define right above it..................never did get the reasoning for putting plants right next to the lights.........my pings are roughly 14 inches away and nice and compact and pink.........i have no issues with heat from lights except when nepenthes start to vine such as my jac x izumae which is getting cut soon due to 3 feet of vine and my poor U. humboldtii which keeps insisting on placing its flower stalks right on the bulbs no matter how i try to train them elsewhere.............

I don't know if it has the same effect but in the sun when you're just standing there it's usually not that hot, but if you sat in a glass room or maybe clear plastic you would be BURNING. I put one of those lucky bamboo things outside in its glass pot and the water was about 90 degrees F in an hour or two.

the sun and T8 florecent lights are two different things....................T8's or any florecent for that matter wont cook anything unless its touching them and in that case it just sucks off the water drying that part of the plant out.....................

...so is my terrarium good enough? ???

dont see where you listed temps but if they are in the 65-75 range you should be fine i would think. with a small plant in a 25 gal i would keep it about 95% covered but i dont know your ambient humidity and temps...............here its dry si i tend to lean on the side of more covering

putting the plants right next to the lights is so they get an increased amount of lumens

my terrarium is actually a good temp, and the humidity i would say is about 50%, but wouldn't go over 60%... will covering the terrarium hamper any of my other plants? i have a N. Rafflesiana, N. Ventricosa, Ping. 'Titan', Ceph. follicularis, D. Bianta Dichotoma, and D. Regia. They are all growing like weeds, so i assume i finally got my terrarium at a happy middle point for all of my plants to grow...:-D

lol ill have to take a pic of my Ventricosa........it'll make yah cry.........they have been pitchering in roughly 15% humidity :grin:

in my experiance binata and 'Titan' dont need high humidity, infact they would prolly do just fine with much lower, mine are in an open trays experiancing swings from 15-50%, air circulation and light are more important than humidity with these. my ceph sees low humidity but i am far from an expert on them and i have yet to keep a regia alive. the raff should do fine with higher humidity as wiill the ventricosa.

my terrarium is actually a good temp, and the humidity i would say is about 50%, but wouldn't go over 60%... will covering the terrarium hamper any of my other plants? i have a N. Rafflesiana, N. Ventricosa, Ping. 'Titan', Ceph. follicularis, D. Bianta Dichotoma, and D. Regia. They are all growing like weeds, so i assume i finally got my terrarium at a happy middle point for all of my plants to grow...:-D

I dont see any problem with covering it more. as a general rule, the plants dont dislike the humidity, its the side effects of high humidity that tends to be a problem. such as rotting, algae growth, mold, etc.

but, i would cover it better and not really worry about it. i have a 95% covered terrarium i keep at 90+ humidity and i havent had any problems yet, except for the lake at the bottow om the terrarium.

advice? make sure your terrarium is made for FISH before goin for heavy humidity.

Back