What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

red fungus

neon-eon

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring li
A few of my Nepenthes have red splotches/dots on the leaves. I'm worried that it might be spreading to my other nepenthes as well. Is there anything that I can buy to take care of it? Also, should I seperate these nepenthes from my others so it won't spead. I'm espeicially worried about my fusca because it was perfectly healthy before and now it seems infected. what should I do?

Can you post pictures of the spots? Sometimes red spots come from changes in the conditions and its perfectly natural. Without pictures it is difficult to diagnose... have you made any changes to the conditions? Is it on all of the leaves or just older growth?

sure, give me like ten mins.

Does it look like rust? I have a couple neps with rust spot right now. I isolated them from the rest of my plants so it wouldn't spread and am applying some fungicide once a week to the leaves. I also cut off all the bad leaves and will probably cut the others off once I get some some more leaves so it can continue to photosynthesize. I heard that rust is not fatal to the plant, just unsightly. A lot of people would recommend Cleary's something or other but I have yet to find that particular fungicide.

xvart.

http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/791ce0171860
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/2b973c171861
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/5b8ac2171862

It seems to be a pinkish reddish color on the fusca and bellii. I got my rajah in December and although it looked a little down, I chose it anyway. The rajah has been very slow in growth and has yet to produce any real pitchers. The mold seems more "rusty" on this one. I got the belli in january. although it went into shock after I bought, and hasn't produced any pitchers yet as well, the splotches didn't appear until about a week ago. the fusca has been perfectly healthy and the fungus seems to more dotted than the bellii's. It seems to affect the new leaves as well as the old leaves. Oh, and a pitcher on my fusca has the dots as well. I havn't made any changes either...high humidity, temps inthe low 80's, moist soil...

I don't think that's a bad thing, because some of the leaves on my N. miranda are the same way, except more red, and they're doing fine.

I have also had a similar problem that occurred when I bought a new nepenthes from home depot, it didn’t have any red spots when I entered it into the tank but seemed to develop them on all of the existing leaves as all the leaves dies it left and the new ones don’t seem to have the problem but there are still some red spotted leaves left. It has not spread and the leaves with it are beginning to yellow.

That looks to me like the kind of spotting I was talking about. I think that is caused not by fungus, but by the change of conditions. As far as I can see in those photos the new growth does not look to be affected by the spotting. IMO, I would just wait it out a few more weeks.

Too much water/heat stress/fungus
The good news: it will probably go away on its own
The bad news: that rajah looks like its on its way out if you know what i mean

Nooo, rajah, how could you do this to me!?... lol, I'll get a new one, shouldn't be too much of a prob. All right, thanks guys, I'll just check in on them every now and then. :)

It actually looks like it might live, those new leaves are fine.

the new leaf is totally fine. On all the other leaves though, from the pic at least, it looks as though the part of the leaf that is attached to the stem has gone brown and is therefore useless. Those leaves will die pretty fast, and if that happens, the plant isn't going to survive on a leaf. Plus, the new leaf looks about half the size of the old ones

Back