What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith Finn ?

I posted a while back in regards to one of my Judith Finns that had turned black in the middle....I was told to cut off the black part and see what happens. I did that and this is what happened:

DSCN2331.jpg

I am so new to Nepenthes that I dont know what it is doing but Im sure it is not new leaves because my other 2 have never looked like that before.

Thanks!

I looks like the start of two new growth points. Exactly what you want to happen if your plant was rotting on previous growth point. Twice as many pitchers, now!

xvart.

GREAT! Thats the kind of news I was looking for! I had given up on this one so thanks to everyone that gave me such good advice!

So will it turn into 2 differnt plants that can be seperated?

Not really, it will just be a bifurcation in the same plant.
You can "separate" them though by taking cuttings when it grows out more

bifurcation

Havent got a clue what your talking about.....

you know what a fork in the road looks like? Thats a bifurcation.
Its when one thing splits into two things, that are still attached at the base.

Gotcha, thanks for putting that in lamens terms for me.

Im excited to watch it grow, thanks for all the info!

okay! I am a little confused here...isn't the nepenthes growth point the topmost new leaf that is starting on the plant's long stem?? becos in my ventrata I don't see any ground level growth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vraev/

If you cut off the Apical meristem, for whatever reason, the rest of the plant is still going to want to grow, so it grows a new (or multiple ) Apical meristerm from one or more dormant nodes along the plant. IIRC (I'd like someone to back me up or correct me on this because I'm not 100% sure) , the Apical meristem secrets hormones that keep dormant nodes dormant. No Apical meristem = no hormones.

Think of the meristem os a fetus and it's cells as stem cells. Ok, this is a weird analogy but go with it lol. It's undifferentiated cells can become cells of the protoderm, protocambium, or ground meristem which is a secondary meristem along with the vascular meristem (But don't confuse these with the Apical meristem)

Really the "growth point" is the Apical meristem which is under a few protoleaves that have yet to develope. Think of a banana tree, how the center is really inside the pseudostem. I probably confused some of you just then lol.

Bottom line without fancy explanations is, this is what happens when you whack on a nepenthes! Hurray! You'll have a bushier plant soon. They rarely die from being cut.

yep! at the base of every leaf there is a dormant growth point. if the main point gets eaten/hacked/broken off ect. these dormant point will take control of the plant. in Victoria's case there are 2 dormant buds. make sense?
Alex

EDIT...ninja Clint...

Clint, youre right. And that class of hormones is called Auxins.

No, it took me a long time to write that :) You're just slow lmao

Thanks Phission! Auxins... Auxins I gotta remember that.

got it! Thanks for the apical meristem explaination JLP, I was able to recall the last time i read about vegetative propogation in plants .... in my grade 10 about 8 yrs ago.

Is there any way to activate those dormant nodes without cutting of the rest of the vine?

You can try keiki paste they use for orchids.

You could bombard the plant with a copious amount of cytokinins, but thats probably a horrible idea....forget I even said that...unless you want to ruin a plant

Back