What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saying nepenthes names.

how do you pronouce N. burbidgeae?

and jacquelinaea, or any plant name ending with these weird

aea or eae

i say N. bur-bid-jee-ah and N. ja-que-lin-eeah
Alex

Glider are you sure? Never heard N. burbidgeae pronounced like that or jaq. Of course there is no official pronounciation book available so technically....there isn't really a "wrong" way to say a latin name.

I say them as follows

Neh-pen-theese
burr-bid-jee-ay
jack-kel-lin-e-ay

I say 'jack-que-line (As in Jacqueline)-ee-ay'. Although, it's prolly "in" not "ine"; "ine" just sounds prettier.

-Ben

yeah, I would think that it would be pronounced like how it would in Latin.
So I'd go with Nep Gracilis

Bur-bid-ge-ay

Jac-Kel-In-E-Ay

Ay = A

For me, at least.

Latin is often (90%) pronounced exactly like its spelled.
So burbidgeae is probably pronounced burbid-jay and the same with jacquelin -ay.
With Lowii and Vogelii its Low-e-I and Vogel-e-I.
Thats what my latin teacher said anyhow.
But Im Swedish so it may be different for us.
Though I think that Vogel in Vogelii is not latin, its german and means bird since its a german guy who named it. (wistuba or Carow I dont remember).
And then Vogel is pronounced Foogl in english. So it Foogl-e-I.

I say

low (lau) E-eye,
Vo-Gel(like jello) E-eye
Bur-bidge-ay
jacklin-ay-ah

Anthing ending in 2 i's, I say E-eye. Or rather E-I just like that. Like bell-E-I

I say things faster than they are spelled above. So it would really be burbidge-ay

and jacklinayah

and vojellE-I

and LowE-I

I hyphenate because if I didn't it would change the message I'm trying to covnevey, but I don't pause in my speech.

When I see a hybrid, like N. maxima x ventricosa (maxim(like maxim magazine) -uh and ventrih-cosa (like costa-rica wthout the T) I say maxima EX ventricosa. I don't say Nepenthes. What do you guys say for the X? I mean, in my head I say X but if I were to say it aloud I'd say "crossed with".

Do-di-do. N. aristo haguntook and N. xiphiopoop are REALLY hard to say.

I have a hard time pronouncing the words "Rural" and "anonymous/anonyminidlksdgojshadg" too lmao. Very hard for me to get those out.

Think your trying to say

arr-riss-toe-low-koy-dees or arr-riss-tow-low-chee-oydees

xiphioides should be icks-fee-oydees

Ahh yes! See, I would have said zy-fee-oydees or sif-ee-oydees.

Zy, sif, icks lol. Well atleast they all look the same in text.

I took a Classical Mythology class and had trouble all term pronouncing the names without hearing them first. Maybe there's some software that can pronounce Latin we could plug these plant names into, wouldn't that be helpful?.

Who knows Tony! Either way is correct in my book. As long as you can spell and write a label, who cares right? haha

Heh, heh, I'm a lumper, I'm not even convinced of the existence of N. xiphioides!
Cheers,
T.

when i talk about my plants i just say for example D. adelae i would say lance leaf sundew. to my friends i refer U. sandersonii as my bunny flower(i have a pic of it on myspace...its caption thing is..."my bunny flower") others like nepenthes where many dont have common names i just call them nepenthes or tropical pitcher plant. i say the species name whatever it looks like and dont really care how its pronounced correctly. anyone ever attempted to pronounce the whole name of N. aristolochiodes :poke:

Alex

PS: Clint i think N. lowii is pronounced low-ee-eye not lau-ee-eye...but like me and everyone else...who cares

Ahh there's nothing I dislike more than common names!

Lol, to me, low and lau are pronounced the same. Lau is what the word low in this scenario should sound like. I don't say low as in "the book is low in the hole". I say low as in... "allowed".

I guess the correct way is whatever his last name is/was plus E-I.

I believe that the X in the hybrids (ex. N. truncata x alata) is said as hybrida. I think that I read that in Donald Schnell's book.

Threads like these just remind me that if any group of us were to meet up, no one would have any idea what someone was talking about because of all the different ways of pronouncing. xD Then again I guess a lot of you go to meetings, that must be fun. xD

I've been pronouncing Nepenthes like.. "Nep-N-Thiss(like thistle)" Doesn't really make sense to me anymore but.. old habits die hard. :/

Ahh there's nothing I dislike more than common names!

Lol, to me, low and lau are pronounced the same. Lau is what the word low in this scenario should sound like. I don't say low as in "the book is low in the hole". I say low as in... "allowed".

I guess the correct way is whatever his last name is/was plus E-I.

but if you think about it....would you go up to your friends and say. "i have a Drosera adelae and some Sarracenia minor 'okeefenokee giant' cultivar and i even have some Phaleanopsis orchids from lowes!" your friends would probably overload and fizz out from all of the comprehension!

i only use the common names when i talk about them to my friends. its WAY less confusing for them... my dad is the only exception. hes a nursrey manager and knows "the latin names of EVERY plant he has. when i said "this is Sarracenia flava" he responded "so what is yellow on this? the flowers or the leaves?" i was astounded at first cause he knew what flava meant! he knows the names ending in -ii and -ae (botanists names) and the var. names like... var heterophylla, and autropurpurea. its kinda neat to have a dad that loves the same stuff i love....well.....one thing anyways :D
Alex

Back