What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I posted this at another forum so I figure you guys might want to see my crappy pics. I'll just paste the whole post.

Do you find an advantage to using natural fertilizer over artificial?
Here's 3 consecutive pitchers of N. bical "red" x campanulata. If anyone else has one of these I'd love to see!

First
DSC01781.jpg

Second
DSC01783.jpg

Third
DSC01784.jpg

Here's a plant Ludwig sent me I'd say a month ago? A month sounds right.Ludwig can correct me on that because I live in a time-warp sometimes lol. It's bellii x ventricosa. Here it is when I got it
DSC01482.jpg

And here it is now.
DSC01774.jpg

I wonder why they are all facing the pot. You'd think they'd face the light source.
Maybe it's just exponential growth but I do fertilize weekly. I use shultz orchid fertilizer. I just eyeball it, I don't measure. I'd say a gram per 16 ounces of RO water or so. I foliar feed and put it directly in the pitchers (But I do not feed solds). That's probably bad.

Looks like the Belli x Ventri is likin somethin yer doing! Is that in a Hot LL tank? Didn't think Ventri hybrids liked to be too hot... Maybe the Belli helps it's tolerance..

Yeppers it's a sauna in there. I'm considering moving it under the metal halide so see how red/bronze the foliage is willing to get for me. Right now it's as far away from the light stuck in a corner.

I've grown ventricosa before until it got too big then traded it out for a baby one to start over. I've never noticed it not liking high temps before. Ventricosa is like the easiest nepenthes there is and it's fast, too. I'd love to try the "Porcelain" clone one day.

I've grown my Ventri-Red in a variety of conditions over the years and it always disliked the heat, not dying, just not as well grown as when it's cool.
The environment you have sounds like it'd be a good spot for a Northiana, the Bical x Campy should do nicely I'd guess. How long have you had it for?

Ummm I dunno, about a month and a half or so. No more than 2 months.

I'd LOVE a northiana if I had a friend who could part with one. cough cough hack cough.

man...everyone seems to be clamoring for a northiana these days

Well Northiana is a beautiful plant. The most beautiful lowland nepenthes in my opinion.
But its not a plant for beginners and definetly not a plant for someone who cant give it perfect lowland conditions in my own experience.
I have had mine for over 2 years, I got it as a 2 cm seedling and now its little over 15cm. So it grows really slow for me even though I have great lowland temperatures.
I do grow it in strong light and in pure live spaghnum.

I think northiana is easy. I don't give it pure lowland temps. It gets a constant 80 in the summer and a constant 58 in the winter. I've had it about 7 months and its gone from about 1" to a little over 3"...definitely agree about it being slow, but thats in its nature. Northiana and clipeata are slow no matter what, even in "perfect" conditions

Wow! those things really shot back!!!
I like the first pic's pitcher as well as the last pic's pitchers.

Dang! Those are pretty plants!!! I love your N. bicalcarata "red" x campanulata
Keep it up

What media do you grow your northiana in Phissionkorps?
BTW lovely plants JLAP!
Have you tried to put some kind of stick in the pot for the uppers to climb on to? maybe they will face the light source then?

Nope and thank!! I haven't tried that, good suggestion. It's not that I want them to face the light, you'd just think they would.

i just use moss as a substrate for nothiana. Its not sphag. Actually, its technically not even a proper medium, but it works really well. Its stays moist but allows for extremely rapid drainage.

DSCN0730.jpg

Back