What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell the difference between a fungi/virus and intense light signs?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. How do you tell the difference in the red coloration due to burnt spots from intense light and the red coloration caused by fungi/virii?

I don't mean the nice suntanned look vs a fungi/virii, but rather a "sunspot" vs a fungi/virii.

I agree with you JLAP, that its pretty hard to tell the difference.
But usually the spots caused by fungi has a yellow ring around them while sunburn spots dont. :S I think it something like that anyway....

If some of your nearby (old) neps start getting spots, it's probably a virus.

Most of my neps that redden due to light have a homogeneous red color on their leaves, not the intense red spotting that you see with viruses.

If you place the plant in lower light, the new foliage shouldn't have red/red spots (but the old foliage will continue to). If the new foliage then gets red spots, you know it's probably a virus.

Ummm... no I don't think you understand me. I mean burning from intense light.

clint, if its from intense light, the brown spots are usually crispy. Sometimes overwatering will produce brownish red spots as well. I had a gracilis that had those spots, and when i started watering less frequently, the new leaves were spotless

Back