What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wife's Nepenthes Alata :)

CPsinSC

Ryan + Sara
Wife took some pictures and wanted to show off her alata she's so proud of :)

alata.jpg

alata2.jpg

This must be the famous invisible Nepenthes I've heard in lore of ye olde nepenthophile.

Nice plant. That's N. x ventrata. Don't trust the labels.

-Ben

Nice plant. That's N. x ventrata. Don't trust the labels.

-Ben

lol. I don't think I've ever seen a real N. alata! lol. Where and how did there become this huge misrepresentation and confusion between N. alata and N. x ventrata?

It's a great looking plant, regardless of label. Your wife should be proud!

xvart.

Very nice... Thanks for sharing

:0o: ... they're so big...and Kewl!!!

NOW I see it. It's very dark!

Where and how did there become this huge misrepresentation and confusion between N. alata and N. x ventrata?

I think it's just the fact that the plant is made by crossing N. ventricosa and N. alata; someone was lazy and only read the N. alata part of "N. alata x N. ventricosa" and thus made thousands of labels showing a picture of N. x ventrata with the name "N. alata" on it. That's how I see it, anyways.

Or, maybe someone who needed to make the labels didn't know the name, so they got someone inexperienced to say what plant this was, and then told them it was N. alata because of the shape of the pitchers. The possibilities are endless. lol.

-Ben

The mass market distributor of ventrata labels the plant after the female parent where the seed came from. Hence alata x ventricosa becomes alata to the masses. Here are some pics of the real alata:
Clone B
P1010371.jpg
P1000565.jpg

Clone F
P1010482.jpg
P1010737.jpg

Luzon
P1010567.jpg

Alata is really a nice plant to grow and I used to be prejudiced against it just because of all of the ventrata/alata controversy.

Hey those are nice! The tubby "Clone F" is pretty cool. Does it fill up that space completely with digestive juices?

-Ben

On the original topic, that's a beautiful plant! I'd be proud too!

Back