What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes turning out to be the hardest to grow

For me it seems. I bought this a few weeks ago and it looked great when I got it, after I repoted it was all down hill from there. I think, what I got, is N. ventricosa but I'm not sure. I got this plant from Lowes.

I currently grow it under 4 48" 40 watt tubes for 16 hrs a day and the humidity runs about 50% at night dropping down to around 30 % during the day. Water with distilled water once a week. I'm clueless what I might be doing wrong, but I plan to stay at. Some days it looks good then other it looks rough. Seems like I have a moody plant here at times. Ahhh almost forgot, it's potted in orchid bark, perlite, peat mixture with a layer LSM to help hold in moisture

Any ideas?? I was thinking of just placing it outside in a shady area and see what happens. But I don't know. My second option is just let mother nature run her course and the plant will take care of itself. Third option is leaving it inside where it's at.

Thanks for you help.

The day I got it

DSCF0528.jpg

DSCF0535.jpg

A few days after repotting

DSCF0584.jpg

Then it starting looking a little better.

DSCF0585.jpg

Because Lowes company (out of Thurmond, NC) that mass wholesales these TCed plants to them, doesn't harden off their crop, is why your plant looks the way it does. Basically, this company expects people to buy the plant, see it catch a few bugs and then die, then they'll buy another one, etc etc. Well bottom line is you didn't harden your plant off. Hardening off is just acclimating the plant to less ideal or "harsher" conditions than the Utopia climate in its little cubed prison. I think your plant will live, but it needs higher humidity in the day, mist about 2-4 times a day with suitable water. Also, keep out of direct sunlight, try "bright indirect light" such as a reflection (white based room/area). And DO NOT overwater, just keep slightly moist.

Good luck!

Because Lowes company (out of Thurmond, NC) that mass wholesales these TCed plants to them, doesn't harden off their crop, is why your plant looks the way it does. Basically, this company expects people to buy the plant, see it catch a few bugs and then die, then they'll buy another one, etc etc. Well bottom line is you didn't harden your plant off. Hardening off is just acclimating the plant to less ideal or "harsher" conditions than the Utopia climate in its little cubed prison. I think your plant will live, but it needs higher humidity in the day, mist about 2-4 times a day with suitable water. Also, keep out of direct sunlight, try "bright indirect light" such as a reflection (white based room/area). And DO NOT overwater, just keep slightly moist.

Good luck!

Would you suggest covering it to help with the humidity ? Or just let the misting do the job.

Thanks for you help

These plants sooo easy. I suggest what Dustin said but you can re-cover and slowly, very slowly, open it back up again.

I've never actually hardened off a Nepenthes mind you. I have a terrarium so I don't need to :-O

You could cover it up, but over the course of 2 weeks or so, youd have to start with a small opening then slowly open it larger and larger until at the end of 2 weeks the plant would be out in the open air (hardened off). Misting is a similar concept only harder on the plant. (humidity fluctuation's.

I wouldn't cover it. Just keep it watered, mist if necessary (check local humidity levels), and let it be for a while. The latest leaf looks OK, so I think you're going to be fine. The new leaves will come in better looking, though the older ones may never perk up much.

Capslock

I wouldn't cover it. Just keep it watered, mist if necessary (check local humidity levels), and let it be for a while.
I agree entirely. May I also suggest that you consider placing the entire pot onto the surface of a gravel filled tray that is half filled with water? The evaporation will increase the local surface humidity enough that your plant will not experience too drastic a drop in humidity levels when you mist at intervals. There will always be some humidity present to carry the plant through until you 'spa' the plant with a surprise boost via a fine misting.

Also, as Max mentioned, let the plant be. Many plants..especially new arrivals, will benefit if they are not moved or jostled around during the recovery phase. Have patience with it and you should do just fine.

Phil

Thank for the great advice everyone...... I have taken the advice received here and this is what I've done.

1.Moved plant from under the flo tubes to an area that gets move of the reflective light and a few hours of indirect morning sun.
2. Started misting the plant 2 - 3 times a day.
3. Place plant on a stoned filled container half full of water.
4. Now I'll let the plant be.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Chris

I'll also post some pictures in a few week of how the plant is progressing along.

Well after a few weeks of nursing this one it's starting to make a turn for the better. It don't look the best but at least it's growing. The leaf on the right is new and if you look closely in the fold of the new leaf it's sending up another. Thanks for all the help.

DSCF0765.jpg

pretty surprising...but i think that new leaf is making a pitcher! when the tendril "hooks" like that its going to make a pitcher(at least in my experience) but the plant looks great! that new growth looks very healthy. its all gonna be uphill from here :D
Alex

Alex that would make my day if it produced a pitcher.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

if the tentril gets longer and longer and the thing starts to inflate...TADA!

Nice job so far. Those first couple pictures gave me the impression that you were keeping your Nep too wet. I've made the same mistake several times myself and your plant's leaves had that withered, over-watered look to them. Just remember to keep the soil moist and not sopping wet, and never leave your Neps pot standing in water (a SMALL bit is ok, but no more than that!). In my experience Neps like to be "aired out" between waterings.

Seems like your plant is bouncing back though, so keep it up!

Look a here !!!!!!!!!!!! I got it to survive and it's doing really well and putting off new pitchers

DSCF1421.jpg

ok, granted, I live in Washington, a mediteranean climate, but I personally, did nothing to harden off my ventricosa. I moved it from my terrarium to a windowsill above my sink. It didn't really skip a beat. It's getting huge, and trust me, Chris, it will get bigger. And it looks to be doing really good. If you take care of your plant, you actually have two plants. Notice your little Basal shoot there. Vents are easy neps and it should be fine now that it is acclimated, just forget it is there, except to water it and check for any abnormalities, and it will grow.

ok, granted, I live in Washington, a mediteranean climate, but I personally, did nothing to harden off my ventricosa. I moved it from my terrarium to a windowsill above my sink. It didn't really skip a beat. It's getting huge, and trust me, Chris, it will get bigger. And it looks to be doing really good. If you take care of your plant, you actually have two plants. Notice your little Basal shoot there. Vents are easy neps and it should be fine now that it is acclimated, just forget it is there, except to water it and check for any abnormalities, and it will grow.

Funny thing is this, I did what you said forgot about it except for the watering once or twice a week and it did the rest. I noticed the two plants and was wondering if they were two totally different plants all together ? The pitchers look so different.

Almost forgot to add they do get a little fertilize mixed with the water once a month.

I can change my statement from the original post to say they are the easiest to grow

Back