What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFS only

I'm experimenting with a ventricosa by planting the top half of the cutting in the soil mix that I usually use and the bottom half in live moss. The live moss one is growing new leaves and the other one looks as though it is finally considering it as well.

Does anyone grown their neps in pure moss? Maybe I'll keep it in there to see what happens. I don't like the peat/perlite/vermiculite/orchid bark/LFS mix that I usually use. it works, but I can't help but think that less is more. I don't want to over-fuss.

So whatcha think? LFS only?

Kind of ironic I was just asking myself the same question about growing Nepenthes in LSM.. I"ll be watching this thread and it will be interesting to see what everyone else is using.

I've done pure LFS before. I like 1/1/1 bark/perlite/LFS instead. Airier and lasts longer. Of course it also dries out faster.

I've grown them in there before, but LFS offers no advantages that I can see. I think I have it as a top dressing on only 3 or 4 plants now.

I use lfs as a top dressing. It has spreaded to every single nep pot, even ones that are far away :O

another reason i dont use it....spores make me mad

Especially when they overgrow my seedlings

I personally don't mind, since I don't really have seedlings atm. Besides, to me it grows really slow.

I have a few neps in pure LFS.... More so than not actually. Here is a nep hybrid that Ludwig777 had given me a while back. I put in this (top cut off gatoraide bottle) container with only lfs and it has been there ever since. I think it's doing good. :) This was a few nights ago on my camera phone.

Oh this common nep

And this N. 'Red Leopard'

haha, nice idea for a cheap pot...i need to start doing stuff like that. Doesn't jimscott use yogurts or something?

I know of a few that use yogurt cups :p I used that because this had a REALLY long stem. And I didn't want to go directly into a deep pot (cause then it'd be big around too... And it didn't need all that room yet :)

This is 1 month after I planted the cutting:

roots

plant

So, you see it was a big cutting lol

Snowy Falcon seemed to be successful with the pure LFS. I like to mix sand and peat and have a layer of LFS on top, along with pine needles (courtesy of Maehem). Most people use Perlite and orchid bark in their mixes.

Actually I root my cuttings in their final home. Takes alittle while for them to start sprouting, but once they start to grow, they don't hafta be disturbed to be transplanted.
They do seem to grow bigger quicker once they do start.
Mix I use these days: peat/perlite, lava rocks, some charcoal, little orchid bark, very little lfs.
I've noticed plants seem to take off quicker, then slow down after awhile in pure lfs. While plants in mixes tend to steadily grow stronger and faster with time.
Nothing scientific, that's just the way it seems to me so I could be wrong...

as far as my personal experiance......pure LFS works fine up to about a 6 inch pot......bigger than a 6 inch and you need orchid bark or something to keep it from getting compacted. seeds i prefer starting on ground coconut husks so i dont have to wory about moss overgrowing them..........with the exception of the extreamly slow growers you shouldnt have to worry about the moss over taking the seedlings.........

Back