What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I finally bought one of the large N. mirandas that I've been eyeing (and secretly misting with fertilizer!) from a garden center. Nevermind that the moster mystery nep is probably a miranda as well.

Anyway, the leaves have a distinct red hue on them. I assume that this has something to due with their previous conditions, but what?

I repotted it as soon as I got home and it goes out side during the day to bask and in at night when it cools down. It didn't have pitchers when it arrived at the greenhouse but there are some forming now so it seems to be doing well. I'm not terribly concerned but more curious than anything.

Good lighting. A good, even bronze/red color is a desirable thing to me, atleast. Keyword being even :) Spots or blotches could be chemical burns, light burns, virii, fungus, etc.

The red hue is nothing bad. The leaves tend to turn reddish in bright light.

I figured that could be it but just couldn't believe that a plant at a garden center could be that healthy. Thanks for the confirmation.

Now why the heck aren't the other ones like that?? Is this coloration true for any nep?

Not for everything. Some will be green with a red midrib, some will have red petioles and green lamina, some will stay green, some will turn red or bronze or orange, etc.

Back