What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting 'Predator'

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Anyone have experience rooting a 'Predator' cutting? Just curius how easy/difficult it may be.

And before anyone asks the answer is "No"

I was given a small basal cutting of N. 'Predator' a couple of months ago, and there is no sign it has rooted yet. It is still green, but there has been no leaf growth. I would have expected at least some growth by now, so I would not classify it as easy just yet.

I have it in a cool terrarium with 80%+ humidity under 4 tubes of cool white T8 bulbs. I am attempting to root it using LFS.

Wow! You got one?

I don't know about x. 'Predator' in particular, but if it's anything like hamata, it could take a long time - I've heard of hamata cuttings returning to normal growth and pitchering before putting down any roots at all. Hopefully the truncata will speed things along, but I don't know much about propagating truncata.
~Joe

ive been told hamata is fairly easy to root and truncata is difficult............maybe 'Predator' splits the difference???

I should think that the whole "hybrid vigour" thing would help somewhat.

Umm.. me... lol..

I don't think that many people have them. :p

I have not rooted many nep cuttings as space keeps me growing very few.

N. ventrata - Super easy. Maybe 1 loss per 30 cuttings, quick rooting.
N. hamata - I'd say intermediate rooting. More losses, maybe something like 3 or 4 per 10 and very slow to root.

For N. ventrata I always did 2 node cuttings. I was also trying to get more cuttings of the N hamata and only made 1 node cuttings. I have not had to cut the N. hamata again, maybe another year and a half or so, but I will try some 2 node cuttings to see if that makes any difference.

Umm.. me... lol..

I don't think that many people have them. :p

Yea I was joking. There are no places that have them. I got mine from the auction. I dropped like 105 but what's the chances of getting one here anytime soon?

Where do you get them? :pics:

Don't bug him about where he got them. I'm thinking that's the sort of thing he meant by the "Before anyone asks, the answer is "No."" comment.

Nah, he meant 'No' to 'Can I have one of your cuttings?'

Predator isn't available from anybody except Exotica now, although I'm sure it will come back in stock in the US eventually.

"the sort of thing"

That counts under that category.

Back