What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No liquid in pitchers after trip in the mail

I got my Nepenthes Ventricosa 'Hot Lips' in the mail today and naturally the was no liquid in the pitchers. My question is this, will those pitchers reproduce the digestive liquid again or with I have to wait until it produces new pitchers??

Chris

a healthy plant in an appropriately humid environment will naturally reproduce its own fluid. it just takes a while =P

it should be noted however that adding a bit of water to a pitcher will do no harm, just remember that most pitchers dont fill up past about 1/4 full.

If you also gently shake the traps it simulates a bug being caught and trying to get out of the pitcher, which then triggers the plant to produce more digestive enzymes. This won't load up the pitcher with fluid, but it would help get some digestion going if you add just a little bit of distilled water.

xvart.

I always fill pitchers of new arrivals with some superthrive water.

Back