What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes burbidgeae - Can it do well in warmer temps?

The reason I ask is that I have one and it barely grows, let alone pitchers. I have temps more fit for lowlanders (90s during the summer, sometimes in the 100s) but I love the look of this plant's pitchers. I'm also a realist and I'll probably sell this guy if I get the right info from this forum.

So, bottom line: Can this plant do well in lowland temps?

If the answer is no, is there anyone who's interested in a N. burbidgeae? :-D

Probably not, but N. burbidgeaer is as semi hardy plant, very slow grower. I can tell you my experience. I bought it 2 years ago and put it for the first 10 months in my terrarium. There were not highland temps but it growed fast with my helis. Then it became too big for the terrarium and potted it up in a bigger pot and put it outside. It stopped growing for a very long period and started again at the beginning of the winter putting out some small leaf and absolutely no pitchers! At the beginning of the winter I took all my neps in a garden center, in a greenhouse where there isn't so much light and winter temps are very low as summer temps are high. Now it growed its first small pitcher and is producing a noew one, i hope it will grow bigger than the previous.

Hope I helped you in some way...

I tried growing two large burbies here in Northern Taiwan for three years. They didn't die, but that was about it. While ephippiatas and miras and other highlanders were thriving right next to them, the burbies would just sit there and mope.

I got rid of them last week.

I tried growing two large burbies here in Northern Taiwan for three years. They didn't die, but that was about it. While ephippiatas and miras and other highlanders were thriving right next to them, the burbies would just sit there and mope.

I got rid of them last week.

That sounds like what I'll probably end up doing. But it's good news to hear that your N. ephippiatas did well. I have one that I hope will thrive in my warmer conditions. What were your temps like?

My temps:

Spring: 18-30 C°
Summer: 25-37C°
Fall: 21-32C°
Winter:6-20C°

Back