What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. I'm moving the terrarium in the basement so I can grow cephalotus and maybe Heliamphora a little better. I'm going to use a MH light, but it's a huge basement so maybe heat won't be a problem. We might set it up tomorrow. Right now, a hygrometer says humidity is 71% and the temperature is 69.9. This is the temp of the actual air, not the air in a terrarium. The terrarium is still filled with lowlanders in my room.I guess maybe the temp will go to maybe 60 degrees at night? It stays cool year round, and it gets REALLY cold in the winter so I'll use 2 fish tank heaters to keep it a minimum of 60. Does this sound OK? Or should I lower the minimum to like.. 55 or 50 so it'll get cool in the winter?

Alright, now, what do I do with my lowlanders? I've got a bical x campanulata, lowland veitchii, Clipeata clone 1 and N. viking that are my 4 favorite plants so if I have to get rid of 'em i'll be sad lol. I might have to trade them away. I'll get back to you guys and tell the minimum/ maximum temperatures in the terrarium when it's set up. And pics! If you won't make fun of the junk (hey, it IS a basement lol)

SO, how is all of this looking? To be honest, I don't know anything about highlanders (is this considered highland?) so ... yeah what am I supposed to grow besides like... N. ventricosa and "boring" plants like that? Would N. hamata grow well? Or like... what do I do? Lol. I'm such a newb at highlanders (Is that what my tank will be?)?

AHHH SCARY! If anyone wants to trade lowlanders for... plants that like cooler temps (intermediate? I don't know what I'm talking about) let me know.

ive just ordered 3 highlanders that are all very nice. Mira, muluensis x lowii and talangensis. they should all do well in my conditions and shouldnt be too picky. ventricosa, sanguinea are all on my shelf already and pitchering well. i have the same conditions as you...just less humidity.
hope that helps any
Alex

Well, the terrarium will have like.. 95% humidity. It does in my room so I guess it will down there, too.

I like Talangensis. I need to buy one if it will grow. I like N. mikei and N. xiphioides and N. glabrata , diatas , inermis , and chaniana. And Ramispina. Just naming off plants I never thought I could grow... maybe I still can't. I'm broke as hell, too lmao.

keep it for a week or so before you get anything new. just so you can look at what the conditions will turn out to be. i love glabrata. but until the price goes down...its not for me :D
Alex

JLAP, I have always wondered how you have such high humidity? Is it natural. Sorry alittle off topic.

In the basement the hygrometer says 71%, that's natural. In the terrarium it's closed (not completely, the acrylic covers are warped from the metal halide so there are open spaces) and has a small fan blowing across the water in the bottom of the terrarium.

The plants are supported by an eggcrate on top of pots, water is in the bottom and so it a heater.

DSC01824.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

Humm i have to try the fan blowing on the bottom. Thanks alot.

No problem. I learned that trick as a cheap way to cool a sump when I used to have a reef. Without the fan it's about 80-85%.

Why not grow the lowlanders outside? They'd probably grow well in your new conditions too.

Talangensis

I was looking at Talangensis earlier today...

your cephs and helis will love the move

av

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago and since the move my hamata is starting to grow a pitcher. I did it for all the same reasons, high humidity, lower temps down into the 40's in the winter. I do however have a n. albo and truncata in there and I was told they are lowlanders but they both are still growing pitchers and look just as good. I'm moving my ceph and h. minor when I get it down there along with all my tropical dews. For this reason I'm thinking of getting rid of some neps like the miki and sanguinea. I know I'm happy with the move because I got some of the ultra highlanders growing pitchers.

Hey Clint,

Your basement sounds a lot like my crawlspace so you should do well with your highlanders there.

If you can afford it, set up a seperate tank for your highlanders (sometimes aquariums can be had for a dime at pet stores that have a cracked one and you can fix it up with a little silicon caulk.) A 400W HID should have a footprint of 2m x 2m which should be more than large enough for a pair of 55G thanks (and then some). Set up your lowlander with a pair of fully subersible water heaters, one hooked to the same timer that regulates the light and the other set to go off if the mimimum temp hits 15C (~60F).

Your highlander tank should not need much, set it up just like you have you lowlander now except with no heater. Instead use a bubble wand and an aquarium air pump to raise the humidity. Should be all you need.

Gasp... no heater? Are you suuure? Wow this is new to me lol. My MH is only 250 watts. We will be rewiring the basement to make places to set it up, and then I'll take the temperatures over the coarse of a week. The 250 watt is only enough for the just 75 gallon and my rent's think my hobby is dumb enough as it is lol. I'm lucky they put up with me this much!

Lol, I've still got that veitchii if you want it lmao. I'll miss my lowlanders. I need to find a N. hamata!

Unless it is dropping to freezing then you won't need a heater. Highlanders really do not mind temps dropping to 8-10C. If you want to put a heater in to pull day temps up you can do that but I would not let it get over 25C. But like I said, it sounds like my crawlspace and I don't use any heater (though I do have a 400W system in there but before I was just using 2 shoplights so...)

And as was mentioned, you could grow your lowlanders outside for the time being. At least until Sept, maybe longer (need to bring them in when nights start hitting 10C). THat should give you time to work your parents over for more light/room/plants :)

But if you really do need to get rid of your lowlanders I can take some. Not too keen on the hybrid but the other 3 would be of interest. I don't have hamata but I think I have a spare spec. nova Sumatra 2A and I know I have a few rajah...

Fantastical. I'll wait a week, see what the temps are and then PM ya. I'm so nervous because highlanders were always the "holy grail" super hard advanced plants.

I might trade the viking for my first REAL highlander, a talangensis! Whoo this is scary lol.

I'd say set up a Lowlander area too, could make a grow chamber or sumethin with the Halide and lay 3, 2-bulb T8's across the top of the 75.
Or 2 T8's across a 55 gal. Find 55's in the paper sometimes for cheap.
Or use a couple 10 gal tanks with a couple T8's would be cheap.
In all I'd say keep the Lowlanders too instead of going all HL.
Could probly grow them all together for alittle while until you can make the new set-up.
If you really do want to get rid of yer LLer's I'd be really interested in the Hybrid, Camp x Bical's a nice one!
Hamata's can be found, but not for cheap.

I don't want to, but I'm leaving for college in like a year so setting up another big tank and new lighting and all isn't practical for just 12 months. I mean... that's what I'm doing right now but I have to do something in the mean time, right? lol. My parents put up with a LOT and my dad is nice enough to rewire the basement and put in a new circuit or whatever it is he's doing down there. I don't want to ask for too much lol. I feel I've mastered lowlanders, it's time for something a little more challenging. Or hell maybe they aren't more challenging, and I just think highlanders are.

It's a beautiful plant and I hate to see it go, but it will be there in 8 years when I'm out of college so it's OK. The camera is charging, I'll take pics later.

The thermometer says the basement temp is a max of 70, minimum of 66.2. Humidity is a max of 80, minimum of 70.

I guess my terrarium will be around 80 in the day, 70 at night. Just an estimate. It could be 66 but I doubt it. In the winter it get's cooooold down there. Atleast 50. I'm going to rely on you guys to edumacate me on highlanders! I've been here so long it seems so weird to be asking for help like this lol. I'm excited.

Look in the trading post. I've got 16 pics in all. I wonder if the clip clone 1 would do OK in an intermediate/highland setup. I like it lol.

Fantastical. I'll wait a week, see what the temps are and then PM ya. I'm so nervous because highlanders were always the "holy grail" super hard advanced plants.

SOunds like a plan. PM me when/if you want to work something out

If you want to get the night temps down get one of the room sized cool mist humidifiers and use it at night. I got a 2 pack for 30 bucks at target. It's good for maybe about 5 degrees plus it brings my night time humidity up to 90-95 which is a good thing if you want a hamata. I'm finally getting a pitcher on mine.

Sounds abit warm at night for HLer's.. Might do well with intermediate/tolerant plants. Hamata might be good to try at the end of Summer.
Some of the plants yer thinkin of trading might do quite well in there like the Belli x Ventricosa for instance.
The winter sounds like it'd be great for HLer's but you might want to cool them at night further if you want to grow true HLer's in the Summer...

Difficulty of cultivation is a matter of where you are, people from Frisco have an easier time of growing Hamata's & Inermis' than Bical's & Campanulata's.
New Yorker's are jacked, Hot as anything in the Summer and Bone-Chilling Cold in the Winter....

Back