What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the insiders...

• Thread starter MrFus
  • Start date

MrFus

Do you like that...
This is a question to the people that grows inside...

which kind of flourescents do you use?

I remember read some one that say he uses regular day light flourescents, some others use the kind that is for plants on especific (grow-light or similar on diferent brands), I have use on the past the kind used on acuariums with good results...

Really the ones "design" for plants will work better, or the full spectrum with a longer photoperiod will give the same results?

I use the normal cool blue fluorescents and they work fine for me. Conveniently I have access to these bulbs for free; but, one of these days when I have a couple extra bucks and I am at Lowe's (without my wife) I am going to buy enough warm red bulbs to mix in with the cool blues. All my housing hold two bulbs, and I know people who mix one of each into each fixture. This would help give your plants a wider spectrum of light.

However, I have seen no detrimental effects of only having the cool blues. Of course, more is always better; and, I don't think it is worth it to invest in special "growing fluorescents."

Hope that helps.

xvart.

i have 3 vertical fixtures in my growchamber. I use 3 "plant and aquarium" bulbs, 1 "kitchen and bath" bulb, and 2 "daylight" bulbs. I like to mix things up. it results in a huge spectrum and massive lumens

I don't really apply to neps since I didn't grow any when everything was inside... I used whatever was on sale. The bottom line seamed to be change them every 6-9 months and you could use any bulb you want. While they still light after that time, the UV output is the strongest to start and weakens over time.

Yep, what adnedarn said is exactly right. Unless you're rich and have nowhere to send your money, it's not worth buying plant specific lights. I use regular daylight flourescent bulbs. My plants love it. And it can be expensive to continually replace those expensive lights, cause like he said, they lose their power rather quickly. Speaking of.. aww man, i need to go to the store.

cool white and daylights here. i change them every 6 months. working great for years now!

tech...

In various combinations, I use:

32watt cool white T-8 fluorescent
65watt compact fluorescent
6watt LED plant growlights

I use the trial and error method to determine the amount of light that my plants should get based on the growing conditions I provide. I grow most of my plants indoors without natural light.

i was thinking about this the other day...

Why does anyone use T8s? Most fixtures support both T8s and T12s. You can get the same color temp out of both of them, T8s are only like $1 cheaper, and T12s produce about 1200 more lumens.

We use these bulbs:

PHILIPS TL 950 - T8, 5000 Kelvin, 98 CRI Full Spectrum Fluorescent Lamps

So far everything is growing great under them. These are also the bulbs we use for our parrots, it is extremely important to get them good lighting as well.

i use the cheapest 4ft T8's i can get my hands on and have been since i started growing CP's..........im very happy with the results and have seen no reason to change

i use T12s on mine. 4 ft 2 bulb. eventually ill get around to 2 fixtures per shelf. i need more money first :) my plants color up nicely.
Alex

im very happy with the results and have seen no reason to change

Brighter colored and faster gorwing plants aren't a good enough reason?

Back