What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capslock,
I was trying to get a good picture for everyone to see this windowsill but did not have the setting correct when I snapped the picture. The window area looks like a passageway to another dimension.... take a look.
nepwindowspecial.jpg

The secret is out! They actually grow in another dimension, only returning to this dimension for pictures..... muahahahaha!!!

Great pics as always dude, like everybody else I'm sweatin that Hamata.. but everything else is fantastic too!

LLeopardGGecko,
I have thought about buying a RO unit, but still have not.
I collect rain water when it rains. Around 35 gallons of it. If its dry I go up to the store about 5 minutes away with my gallon jugs and fill them at a RO unit that cost 25 cents per gallon.
The summer is the worst for me with my outside plants. I do not grow my plants in trays and they need watered every other day. I end up using around 10 gallons a week.

vraev,
I guess my N. rajah likes me.

The soil mix I use is equal parts perlite, peat moss, and dry LFS. This is pretty much my standard mix for most of the CP's I grow. I top dress my neps with live LFS moss when the plants are bigger. I also do this with some other CP's as well

My neps that grow inside year round get watered twice a week, as for all my inside plants.

lol! You are absolutely right. There is some connection between you and those plants. They love you and are willing to thrive at conditions that I would not DARE try. :p

MissMorbus,
The only special thing I did was place a humidifier on my furnace so the air was not so dry in the winter.

I find that Neps are a lot tougher then they are given credit for.
When I was first reading about them and the high humidity requirements they need, I thought I would never be able to keep one outside a terrarium.
Since neps can get large I did not want to confine the plant into a terrarium. So I started to experiment with growing them as windowsill plants and have had great success with several neps this way.
It seems that they take around 3 months to really settle and then start pitchering.

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (I have the humidifier on my furnace set to around 45%. Lower humidity in the day because the furnace does not run much. The sun shines in the room where I grow the plants and heats the area up.)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to 64 degrees. (Humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the neps. Nights can drop to low 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 30 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: During the day it can hit mid 80's. Night to the low 70's. (I usually have the A/C set around 74)

Thanks for all the info! It gives me a good idea of what's going on. I have a few good Southeast and South facing windows, and your temps aren't too much different than mine. Maybe I can make my own magic window. Probably not...I'm sure there's some sort of universal limit on how many magic windows there can be in the world. :jester:

Back